Drilling for shanks, drill size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
I actually am pretty solid in my understanding of the size of the drill ill need for the shank, its 5/8 from midwest.
What I could use some advice on is stabilizing it once its going through the door, also, could someone take a look at the picture of this tap and tell me if you think Ill need to drill a larger hole for the tap to sit in the door?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4565

thanks in advance for any and all help, the building should commence tomorrow!!:ban:

What I did to help me drill, was to buy a Uni-bit or sometimes called a step bit.

I used painters blue masking tape on the door where I was going to drill, since I was using the tape, it was easy to make marks on it. Then drill a small pilot hole, change to the step bit, and drill slowly until you get the right sized hole.
It left a nice, clean, burr free hole. Look under my profile for pics if you like.

Hope this helps.

Alright, a step bit could be a good way to go. I dont know if we have one, my parents are bringing my gear up along with the tools, so Ill ask. Its frustrating to be moved out and still not have my own full line of tools....

Latest posts

Back