5g Batch In Primary 6g glass carboy secondary-Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jednet

Reaction score
I've got a 5 gallon batch of cider in primary in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. I only have a 6 gallon carboy. When I rack to secondary using the carboy will the extra space in the 6 gallon glass carboy cause a problem?

This has been on my mind for a few days now.

I'm not sure if the extra space may ruin the batch or if I should add 1 to 1.5 gallons of pasturized (no preservatives) apple cider to the batch in secondary to close the gap at the top of the carboy.

If it's possible to add an extra gallon to a gallon and a half of apple cider to the carboy should I boil it or heat it first or just add it to the secondary at room temperature?

Just wondering if I have to worry about the extra space in the carboy during the secondary.

Joe

Don't boil cider, it will release the tannins and the stuff will never clear.

You've got a couple options here. You can either add a gallon of 100% juice or pastuerized cider to the secondary when you rack, or add a filler. If you add juice or cider to secondary, you're going to have to give it a little extra time, as that will just start fermentation back up again (unless you want it carbed). your other option, filler, can be anyting that takes up space. A number of people have mentioned using sterilized glass marbles to take up the extra space.

My first batch is in secondary right now, and it looks to be about 4.25 gallons in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Is this a problem?

NitrouStang96 said:
My first batch is in secondary right now, and it looks to be about 4.25 gallons in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Is this a problem?

It could be, that much headspace could lead to infection. Especially in secondary when not as much CO2 is being produced. If you can, I'd rack that into a 5 gallon carboy with some filler.

I wouldn't worry too much about infection, but I would be worried about oxidation. My wines and ciders are topped up within an inch of the bung. Beers don't matter so much, because they don't stay in the carboy that long.

"I wouldn't worry too much about infection, but I would be worried about oxidation. My wines and ciders are topped up within an inch of the bung. Beers don't matter so much, because they don't stay in the carboy that long."

Really hope the latter part is accurate, as I unknowingly did a secondary fermentation of 5 gallons of Pale Ale in a 6 gallon carboy. Been in there for two weeks and it's time to bottle. Tasted ok when I checked the gravity, but if it's ruined via oxidation I'm going to be disappointed.

It won't be ruined. You may, however, taste a slight hint of O2. This won't be the batch to age for 6 months, so once it's ready, bottoms up :drunk:

Latest posts

Back