Conditioning High ABV Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killinger

Reaction score
I need some advice. I'm still new to this game, and I have a high OG brew that might not be fermenting much more.

It's a braggot that started at 1.120. It's now at 1.025 after three weeks (two in primary and one in secondary). A week ago, I sampled some for a hydro reading, and it was 1.028. Last week and last night, the hydro samples were really (overly) sweet.

I pitched dry champagne yeast on brew day.

I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast now. If so, what kind? I gently rocked the secondary last night to try to disturb the sediment and jump start fermentation. No activity as of tonight, and the airlock is riding flat.

I'm also wondering if it will condition properly in the bottles, or at 13% ABV, have I found the limit of my yeast?

Thanks!

Read up on your champaign yeast. It will tell you on the mfg. site the alcohol limits. Sounds like you may be at the top end.

RayPratt;

Your'e likely done or very, very close to it. You have 79% attenuation which is very good and have a final gravity that is expected given your SG. Honey has alot of unfermentables that neither brewers yeast nor champagne yeast will metabolize. If your final product remains too sweet for your taste you will need to increase your bittering hops next time to balance the beer.

GT

RayPratt said:
I need some advice. I'm still new to this game, and I have a high OG brew that might not be fermenting much more.

It's a braggot that started at 1.120. It's now at 1.025 after three weeks (two in primary and one in secondary). A week ago, I sampled some for a hydro reading, and it was 1.028. Last week and last night, the hydro samples were really (overly) sweet.

I pitched dry champagne yeast on brew day.

I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast now. If so, what kind? I gently rocked the secondary last night to try to disturb the sediment and jump start fermentation. No activity as of tonight, and the airlock is riding flat.

I'm also wondering if it will condition properly in the bottles, or at 13% ABV, have I found the limit of my yeast?

Thanks!

Try Beano. That may help to bring down the FG.

You're as low as the wort wants to be. You can take it lower, but it's not natural. It's just wrong. It'll taste like alcohol.

A high gravity ale needs to age for 6-12 months. My rule is 2 months + 1 month per % ABV.

Back