Simple Rules for Drinking My Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
Most of us got into this hobby for the simple dual purposes of drinking excellent home made brew and sharing said brew with our friends.

But most, if not all of us, upon sharing said brew with friends, tend to develop pet peeves with how our friends treat our brew, our bottles or our pride (not that anybody here could be accused of having pride or anything...)

So, to help kick this off (and because it's too darn cold outside to start a batch, here's my first few.

1. Not rinsing the bottle! I don't mind giving you beer, but for the love of all that is hoppy, just run a little water through that thing!

2. Abusing the bottles! *don't* put the cap back on a plastic bottle when you rinse it with hot water... they never get their shape back...

3. Not Believing me about ABV % Really, if you're not gonna believe me when I say it's 8% per bottle, kinda your bad decision there. Tossing two back and not being able to stand up, while mildly entertaining, is not so entertaining when you end up with that beer on your shoes. in my living room. On the carpet.

4. Complaining about my beer! It's free. It's cold. It's bad form even when it's a commercial brew, saying it's crap to me is just insulting.

5. Asking for a tall boy and only drinking a quarter of it! This is probably more annoying for those who keg, but understandable (if irritating) for those who bottle. If you can't finish a full beer, why'd you pour one? Why'd you open a 1L bottle when there's a bunch of 500ml ones with the same labels??

6. Not taking it home (wines, meads)! I keep extra bottles, safety-seal PET caps, corks, shrink wraps and etc on hand at all times. If you liked something that much, don't stick me with a bottle with one glass out of it. If I say I can cork it up for you, bloody take it. I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it!!!!! It's not violating open container law if it's sealed!

That's it for me for now, anybody else?

A buddy of mine is a waiter and I think he took offense to me trying to explain to him how to pour a bottle conditioned beer. "I know how to pour beer, dammit" he probably thought as he quickly poured it into his glass during my explaining to him to watch out of the yeast in the bottom.

...but he did take my advice on the next bottle

I took a couple bottles of my Zombie Dust clone to a co worker who loves IPA's. He drank them a couple days later with his neighbor and they both thought it was great. The next day he shows up with a 1/4 keg and asks if I could make him a batch. I said you realize it'll take about 5 weeks, and it's not cheap. At this point he says " It's homebrew...It can't cost more than few bucks. That's why I brought the keg,it's the bottles that run the price up."
Shake head....walk away.

I don't know why people think that just because you made it, it should be free. I don't count my time when it's for me, or to share at my house, but if you want a whole batch it's gona cost you.

Yeah I agree with all of this and understand! I hate when people want a big glass but then only drink a little bit and then the beer gets warm and it gets wasted.

Im with you on the rinsing. How long does it take? 5 seconds, you see them on the counter and in the dishwasher, just rinse them out lol.

Rules is a strong word let's say "things you would like to happen and things you don't want to happen".

My biggest issue: I live in Ireland, I come from north of France so half of the people I know are Belgian style beer drinkers or Irish red Ale or Stout drinkers.
They asked me to give them some IPA I just brewed and I warned them it would be different from other things they are used to.

The worst I got:
-It tastes like Paulhaner (twice, including once from a guy who used to run a beer bar... In Germany)
-It tastes like beer flavoured lemonade (Ouch!)

Fortunately, I got some very nice comments as well from people who know what IPA is (including the guy who got me into home brewing and who is a respected brewer) so my confidence is still high but since I plan to brew mainly IPAs for a few months, I will be a bit more picky regarding who I offer my beer to.

When offering a beer I usually start by serving a unopened big label product to others and a home brew for me. If anyone asks to try the home brew I tell them they won't like it, it's brewed for my tastes and doesn't emulate any of the big brands. If they still want to try it I serve it and tell them to feel free to throw it out and drink the commercial brand. So far I haven't had to replace any of my commercial beer.

Or friends.

1. Pour the beer for them into a glass and rinse it yourself. Problem solved.

2. same as above.

3. There is more than ABV to consider, most of my friends also get the hop euphoria. Hell I made a whole house party passout, stumbly dumb once. Explain to people that are not used to drinking homebrew to take it easy on it because it is easy to over do it.

4. Please NEVER complain about this. If someone is giving you feedback take it with a grain of salt if the source is crazy but if it is a good source you may want to consider listening to them. Not every batch of beer I make is super fantastic and I doubt you are any different, not to mention people may not like every style of beer...

5. Same as reply 1 but split it with people or don't open it.

6. I would bottle it for them and hand it to them OR use it for cooking/freeze concentration or drink it yourself.

Only 2 rules apply::
#1. Don't get pissed when I say you may want to watch out on that one.. It is not Natural Lite.. And then you stumble home.
#2. Most important rule EVER.. Don't have your significant other come over and "pull you home" &/or complain about how "I" get their significant other drunk..

If people don't know how to drink then homebrew is something they should avoid at all cost..

Life is like a keezer with kegs.. You never know what you might get..

I have a friend that comes over and samples beer. His SWMBO, takes one sip of homebrew, (i mean touches lips to foam), flairs nostrils, then doesn't want anything to do with the rest. Then complains that we don't have any thing for her to drink. I give her water!!

Jeez! STOP WHINING! Rules? Give me a break. What a control freak! Stop sharing your beer and life will be good.

Yeah, it's ONLY BEER....

First World Problems indeed.... :rolleyes:

Share your beer, don't share your beer, whatever, but if you do share, don't ***** if people don't play by your silly rules....That's giving with conditions, and that's not truly giving.

Most of us got into this hobby for the simple dual purposes of drinking excellent home made brew and sharing said brew with our friends.

But most, if not all of us, upon sharing said brew with friends, tend to develop pet peeves with how our friends treat our brew, our bottles or our pride (not that anybody here could be accused of having pride or anything...)

So, to help kick this off (and because it's too darn cold outside to start a batch, here's my first few.

1. Not rinsing the bottle! I don't mind giving you beer, but for the love of all that is hoppy, just run a little water through that thing!

2. Abusing the bottles! *don't* put the cap back on a plastic bottle when you rinse it with hot water... they never get their shape back...

3. Not Believing me about ABV % Really, if you're not gonna believe me when I say it's 8% per bottle, kinda your bad decision there. Tossing two back and not being able to stand up, while mildly entertaining, is not so entertaining when you end up with that beer on your shoes. in my living room. On the carpet.

4. Complaining about my beer! It's free. It's cold. It's bad form even when it's a commercial brew, saying it's crap to me is just insulting.

5. Asking for a tall boy and only drinking a quarter of it! This is probably more annoying for those who keg, but understandable (if irritating) for those who bottle. If you can't finish a full beer, why'd you pour one? Why'd you open a 1L bottle when there's a bunch of 500ml ones with the same labels??

6. Not taking it home (wines, meads)! I keep extra bottles, safety-seal PET caps, corks, shrink wraps and etc on hand at all times. If you liked something that much, don't stick me with a bottle with one glass out of it. If I say I can cork it up for you, bloody take it. I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it!!!!! It's not violating open container law if it's sealed!

That's it for me for now, anybody else?

I agree with basically everything except 4.....If somebody doesnt like my beer, I appreciate feedback and a reason for it. I enjoy criticism, and you are in the wrong hobby if you can't handle it.

Although if I think about it, 2 and 5 don't apply to me.

I'd rather hear the criticisms of my beers, so I know what people are really thinking about it when they drink it. Love it or hate it, sharing your beer with friends is always a mixed bag. What I hate are people that say, "oh this is great," and then basically don't drink the beer.

I also find my crowd pleasers are beers that I wouldn't normally enjoy myself, so keep that in mind when sharing with the masses.

I'm at the stage where I keg most everything, so the bottle problem is one that I don't deal with but I do understand. When it come to drinking what you pour yourself, I agree 100%. That is probably why I don't have pint glasses. I only use small 8 oz glasses for the home brew. With regards to my friends telling me what they think of my brew...I'm all ears. I want to hear what they say...as long as they can elaborate their answers. Don't say it sucks,...give me details why it doesn't suit your palate. Given that most of my friends are wine snobs, I guess I'm lucky because they give me details to the extreme on what they think works and what doesn't. Helps me refine my recipes.

Yeah I agree with all of this and understand! I hate when people want a big glass but then only drink a little bit and then the beer gets warm and it gets wasted.

This is probably the only thing that would make me lose my cool to someone I had over. Everyone has quirks, luckily I realized that I have plenty myself, so I try not to be to harsh on others. Rudeness is really the only think I can't stand and not finishing a homebrew you asked for, would probably be one of the rudest things I could think of.

I guess I've been lucky so far, getting them to stop drinking seems to be the hard part. The only other thing I can think of is the people who ask me to bring it to their house for one reason or another. I have one friend who always wants to watch the game or have the gathering at his house and always requests I bring a little homebrew along. I usually reply with, "That's reserved for my house." Not that it's a huge deal, but the guy never seems to be free when the gathering is at my house and since I keg, I'd rather drink it the way it's supposed to be served, right out of the tap, as opposed to trying to bottle and hoping I can keep carbonation in it.

I agree with basically everything except 4.....If somebody doesnt like my beer, I appreciate feedback and a reason for it. I enjoy criticism, and you are in the wrong hobby if you can't handle it.

There's a difference between criticism and telling someone, "This is crap." There are tactful, constructive ways to deliver criticism, and when you're responding to something you've been given, that's the time to be appreciative. I don't expect someone to fawn over every beer I make, heck, sometimes I know in advance that there are flaws, but even if it's bad, I'd expect something along the lines of, "Thanks for the beer, but it tastes bitter and astringent, I'm having trouble finishing it."

I approach these rules differently.

I keep a couple juice glasses near my kegerator for sampling before pulling a whole glass. I warn that homemade beer is different and they may not like it. If they do like it, they can pull pints freely. When I bottle, I will pop one, and pour two half glasses, one for me, one for them showing how it is done so they have a sample and see how to do it properly. If they don't like it I will add it to my glass or drink it.

I warn them of the yeast/gas concequences when I pour to encourage them to do it properly.

If I give bottles, usually I do not care to have them back, but request they rinse them after pouring. Have never had a problem.

I warn about the ABV/strength, but most people I would share with are old enough to not drink to get drunk so it rarely happens where someone has too much. With the people that are drinking fast or heavily I warn them again and usually take them outside for them to get fresh air (remember, you can always cut people off).

I ask for critiques and say I am not offended if they do not like something, though most people lie saying they like it more than they do, I mean, how can you improve your process if you do not know your faults. And everyone knows that people tend to get rose colored glasses (or beer goggles) towards things they make themselves, or alternatively are way too critical of their own creations. By asking for honesty I do not offer take home bottles to people who were actually just trying to be nice as often.

Homebrewing is different enough that you really have to realize that someone else even trying it is a streach and adventurous. Do not be offended by the BMC fans not liking your brews. If you are that sensitivem do not share until you have perfected your craft or relaxed a bit. Heck, bottle in coronitas bottles for samplers and do not give the tall boy option to guests who have not yet had your brews.

RDWHAHB

There's a difference between criticism and telling someone, "This is crap." There are tactful, constructive ways to deliver criticism, and when you're responding to something you've been given, that's the time to be appreciative. I don't expect someone to fawn over every beer I make, heck, sometimes I know in advance that there are flaws, but even if it's bad, I'd expect something along the lines of, "Thanks for the beer, but it tastes bitter and astringent, I'm having trouble finishing it."

Oh I completely agree, if somebody doesn't liek it I prefer to get real feedback and not just "this sucks".

Wow, what sort of ungrateful friends do you have!? Anytime I've offered my beer (be it at home or when I take it somewhere else), I run into only one problem, running out. Maybe I've just got a much more broad pipeline and start new HB drinkers on cream ales instead of IPAs but come on.

One rule. Keep your **** together well enough to keep from puking someplace inconvenient (like carpet) or breaking my glasses.

Also, part b is a suggestion. If my kids are awake try to avoid being used by me as an example of an idiot that doesn't know how to drink. Though I occasionally could benefit from such an example.

Rule: Return all of my bottles, clean and intact!

I had a buddy back in college who wanted some homemade beer, so I made a batch for him and gave him a box of 24 bottles. (I kept the rest). My one stipulation was that he clean and return all of the bottles as they are kind of expensive and I did not have a lot of money.

He got about halfway through the box before he remembered he wasn't supposed to be throwing them in the garbage, and the dozen or so I got back were all either dirty or chipped. Thanks, guy.

This is part of the reason I switched to kegging....

My only "rule" is that if you want some to take home, bring back the empty growler/bottles from the last time.

I have never really enforced the "rule", but I have been known to make a few sarcastic/smartass comments towards friends that forget to bring back the empties.

Of course, generally sarcastic/smartass comments are the norm for me and my friends, regardless of the topic. My wife keeps reminding us that we are all just a bunch of smartasses getting drunk in the garage. To which I take offense as nobody is getting drunk in my garage. It the "man cave" possibly, but never in the garage.

90% of the people around here don't like ale. They would much prefer an ice cold commercial lager, which is fine. Those kind of people will usually take a sip and then say "Oh I don't like dark beer." or "That's too bitter." I just ignore that. For those that do like ale, I get acutal feedback about my beer and that I pay attention to. Bottom line is that you are going to get a lot of negative feedback about your beer even if it's good. Those people would say the same thing about a good commercial example, so don't get offended.

Bottles - definitely - please rinse them out before you bring them back. That's just common courtesy. You wouldn't bring a dinner dish back to someone dirty and moldy.

Wasting beer - You pour it you drink it. I keep sample cups by the taps as well.

Will you make me a batch? - No, but you are more than welcome to come over and brew up a batch on my rig. No one ever does.

If people don't like my beer, I look at what they choose to drink instead. If it's Michelob Ultra or shots of Jaeger, I'm not offended. So far the correlation between people who like good craft beer and people who like my beer is 100%. Frankly, I want to hear negative feedback from people who know what they are talking about so I know how to brew better. That's one of the reasons I joined a homebrew club.

Which is not to say every batch is awesome. I just tend not to share the stuff that doesn't turn out how I want it to.

I'll share beer with anyone who wants it.

Then after that first time I segregate them into one of two groups, people who get continued beer generosity in the future and people who do not.

I do not have rules, but some BMC schwilling dip **** who wants to put down my beer because it doesnt taste like bud light can bring bud light whenever he comes to my house in the future(and the tomato juice he/she puts in said BL.)

People who have an open mind, they dont even have to appreciate "good beer," are going to get a high level of generosity because the more they drink the more I get to brew.

I had a very long post I was working on and I hit delete: Here is the Reader's Digest version:

A. My problem when I started was that none of my friends brewed, but they were happy drinking the beer.
B. I had a room mate who brewed 2 batches with me. One batch he gave out about a case of bottles. That was sad, esp when I was a broke college student.
C.Never had any problems with people not wanting to drink my beer in college (College students will drink anything you say has alcohol in it.)
D. I have friends who want to brew and design a beer with me. I am fine with this, just not people wanting me to brew them a beer.
E. My dad wanted to make a beer and send it to a college buddy, I said we can do it, but that he would change his tune when he saw the costs adding up.

That's what I can remember for now. Stupid backspace button...

I have a set of 4 oz festival taster glasses. I use those for people I don't know, and they can sample any or all of my beers on tap. It's rare I don't have something for everybody since I keep a great variety, including cider and a mead on tap.

I do not fill growlers for friends. Anybody is welcome to drink with me in my garage, but this ain't a carry-out joint.

I keep BMC and other crap beer party leftovers for people who don't even want to try homebrew. I offer once, but if you don't want to try it I'll never ask again.

My Belgian Ball Buster has a 2 pint limit, strictly enforced. I don't need your drunk self passed out at my house or trying to drive home.

If you even remotely act drunk and/or stupid I'l cut you off unless you have a designated driver.

Act like an a**hole with my other guests and you're history, banned from the garage. Beer is a social drink and I have zero tolerance for antisocial behavior.

Come on over, we'll have some beer, throw some horseshoes, grill some animal flesh and have a good time.

i only have one issue with sharing my beers with my friends.

i wish they could say something better than, thats nice or i prefer this or that.

dont get me wrong, i brew to please myself and to please others, i just wish i had some beer geek friends to do some proper tasting, to comment on aroma, mouthfeel, yeast character ect...

obviously im not totally serious, im allways happy to share my brews, unconditionally.

How else will you grow as a brewer if you don't get feedback or critizism.

Criticism is pointing out that it has an off taste or something they don't like about it.

I had someone tell me that my brown ale tasted like "Stale Lucky Lager and Arse"

That's not criticism, them's fightin' words :)

I like constructive feedback - I find wide-eyed, slap on the back, "Good god this tastes awesome!" almost as bad as "this beer sucks."

I don't brew with awesome or suck - I need a little bit more to go on!

Other than asking for more description than awesome/sucks, I have no rules.

PS: Anyone know an online brew store that sells awesome? I have some stout in secondary, I added to much sucks during the boil, and now I need to back-awesome it.

I should clarify.

Most of the above rules are about two people, only one of which i still talk to on occasion.

Mr. "No homebrew is that strong" is currently on my **** list for life. He's also Mr. Dirty Bottles and Mr. Lost Bottles

The other person I still talk to now and then, though he's not around as much locally. He's since learned how to give constructive criticism and to not grab the big bottle when he knows he's only gonna have a half pint.

He never did learn to take stuff home with him. Generally I don't care, but it's come up on multiple occasions that i'd open a bottle of something with the outright understanding he's bringing the other 3/4 home with him (wine) only to have him refuse at the end of the evening, using the open container law as his reason. When his wife is the DD (and she drinks, they usually take turns being the DD)

I've taken to keeping commercial lager around for those who want it, because it rankles to throw out half a beer.

I think i'm gonna start kegging this year....

I'd love to get criticism!
Everybody acts like it's the best thing they've ever drank. I'm not that good, and can't get better without critisism.
Luckily I have brew club friends who are brutally honest.

Back