13-tap Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFather Brewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The 13th tap was somewhat a mistake. Got a little crazy with the hole-saw & drilled one too many. It has led to homemade root beer, though, so not all bad.

Started with a 26 cu ft freezer off CL. Lots of mistakes. Lots of learning. Wish I could've documented the build like so many do here, but I didn't have the means until recently.

All-in-all, something I am proud of.

image-34371588.jpg

image-711235227.jpg

image-174139655.jpg

image-2535710506.jpg

Love your use of White labs Vials (at least that's what those handles looked like to me).

I don't know what I'd do with 13 taps.. probably nothing at all good would come from it!

Great work, but there's no way I could ever fill that many kegs, even with scaled down recipes. 4 different serving kegs is the most I've ever filled.

I gotta ask - how'd you attach the WL vials as tap handles? I've seen that before and thought that was a neat idea, but I've never seen how it was done.

Nice work, BTW. Good looking keezer you built there. :mug:

Seriously, how can you ever keep even half of them on tap constantly?

Is there some brewtopian town/city I'm missing out on where everybody brews all day? :)

Small batch brewing.....:)

Have 9 tapped right now (1 root beer). I've brewed much less this year than previous, so I expect to keep most full/rotating.

Used SS locking nuts for the handles (will get the exact dimensions later).

I like beer.

Looks great! I wish I had room in my house for something that size.

That much I gathered. Wondering the specifics. Is there a thread on HBT for that?

EDIT: i.e. thread pitch, specific hardware...

There was a thread several years ago, and that's what I used for my tap handles before making some nice wood ones. What I did was drill a hole in the cap, and then epoxy a nut to the inside of the cap. I also put a small piece of clear packing tape in the vial to hold the grains in so that I could tighten the cap onto the faucet, and then thread the vial onto the cap. That also made switching them out easier. The faucet threads are 3/8" coarse thread (16 tpi).

There was a thread several years ago, and that's what I used for my tap handles before making some nice wood ones. What I did was drill a hole in the cap, and then epoxy a nut to the inside of the cap. I also put a small piece of clear packing tape in the vial to hold the grains in so that I could tighten the cap onto the faucet, and then thread the vial onto the cap. That also made switching them out easier. The faucet threads are 3/8" coarse thread (16 tpi).

Cool, thanks!

How was the collar made! Is that wainscotting just glued on. I might be able to sell this idea to the wife! Only 4 taps! I wish to remain married!

DocDave

OK - So JuanMoore is correct. 3/8" 16 tpi. What I did was drill a hole in the cap. Place cap over bolt for tap handle on faucet. 3/8" 16 tpi lock nut to tighten the cap to the tap handle bolt. I then added the grain, etc. to the vials & tightened those onto the faucets before tightening faucets to shanks. I like the idea of using tape, but I didn't do that on this initial approach.

The collar is 1x4 red oak stained with minwax polyshade "golden pecan." Then there is a layer of insulation (R5) foam & a layer of 1/4x4 red oak behind that. The panels are wainscot that I framed with some trim. I stained them the same color & used adhesive to apply on 3 out of the 4 sides.

Black paint is chalkboard paint. Lots of coats. Stuff is great, but every where I read indicated that one must use lots of layers/coats in order for it to work properly. I think I used ~ 3-4 coats.

wow!!! nice keezer. i'm about to take over my 10 cf chest freezer currently being used as a "pizza and ice cream freezer" to replace my 3-tap kegerator. most i could use is 6 kegs with it. 13?!?

That is amazing craftsmanship. Not to mention some busy brewing. Way to go...

Back