Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paging billyklubb.... Billyklubb to the "funny things you've heard about beer" thread. One industrial-strength berry punch is needed in the "funny things you've heard about beer" thread.

@Billy-Klubb
seriously. im still trying to redeem my damn $50BK. its as frustrating as trying to use airline miles during the holidays. So many blackout days

paging billyklubb.... Billyklubb to the "funny things you've heard about beer" thread. One industrial-strength berry punch is needed in the "funny things you've heard about beer" thread.
tripel (that's right) rolling back spin dubbel (that's right again) flying splits downward Billy steals the "Funny things you've overheard about beer" peach! koowhakasi!!!
@Billy-Klubb
seriously. im still trying to redeem my damn $50BK. its as frustrating as trying to use airline miles during the holidays. So many blackout days

since it's your first $50 Billy Bucks, you get a two in one deal! are you partial to the left or the right?

Overheard at a local pizza place (with a kickass beer list):
Guy: "What's this beer? Strong season? What's a strong season?"
Waitress: "That's a strong saison."
Guy: "Oh. What's a strong saison?"

My wife [to me, just out of earshot]: "Can you believe that guy? 'Strong season.' A strong season is when you finish 3 games out of the division lead and win the wild card, but your goalie gets injured and you get eliminated in the first round. A strong saison is a high abv beer made with a low-floc Belgian yeast that produces fruity or spicy esters. Duh."

That's why I married her.

Also, the guy went on to ask,
Guy: "Is it dark? I don't like dark beers."
Waitress: "Well, darker than a pale ale, but it's not like a stout or anything."
Guy: "Is it hoppy? I don't like hops."
Waitress: "It's more earthy than hoppy."
Guy: "Is it malty? I don't like malty beers."
Waitress: [Eye Roll] "How about if I just bring you a taster."

Waitress: "Well, darker than a pale ale, but it's not like a stout or anything."

I would have just brought him water*, as it's about the only part of beer he likes.

*could substitute Coor's Light for the water, wouldn't be much difference

"Does it have flavor...any flavor at all? I don't like flavor."

My wife [to me, just out of earshot]: "Can you believe that guy? 'Strong season.' A strong season is when you finish 3 games out of the division lead and win the wild card, but your goalie gets injured and you get eliminated in the first round. A strong saison is a high abv beer made with a low-floc Belgian yeast that produces fruity or spicy esters. Duh."

That's why I married her.
All of the single guys here want to know....

Does she have a sister?

My neighbor noticed me brewing one day and came by. Turns out he is a home brewer as well, and so we've talked here and there. There are a few golden nuggets that he has said to me.

1. The first day he came by I was brewing a helles and I gave him some of my wheat saison to try. A few weeks later as I am brewing again, he comes by and we have this conversation
Him - "Man I liked that beer you gave me so much, the helle? Well I went to the homebrew store and bought a kit. It's taking longer than I'd like with the cold fronts coming through. I've been putting it outside on warm days to get it to finish."
Me - "Oh, well... that's a lager, so it should be fermented cold... Also, it's not good to expose beer to sunlight."
Him - "Oh! Well I keep it covered when it's outside"
Me - "Just for information, the beer you tried was a saison, which incidentally likes to ferment warm"
Him - "Oh... well I'll keep an eye out for the next beer I brew!"
He said if the beer turns out decent he'd bring me some (and I'd be glad to try it). He never brought me any though.

2. I was brewing Monday again and he stopped by to ask if I wanted in on a March Madness pool.
Him - "So what are you brewing today?"
Me - "A Flanders Red"
Him - "Hmmm yea I've made a red ale before, turned out pretty good"
Me - "Well this is a bit different than a red ale, it's a sour beer"
Him - "Sour beer? What do you mean?"
Me - "Um... it's a sour beer, it has lactic acid in it"
Him - "Ah! So like a Belgian beer?"
Me - "Yea, it's a Belgian style. There's sour beers from other countries too, but they were most popular in Belgium."
Him - "So you put any milk in it?"
Me - "... no ...?"
Him (not picking up on my confused response) - "You know, there was this one time a few buddies of mine, some from the brew club I was a part of, well we were at an Astros game. We saw this lady with big 'ol knockers. We couldn't help staring at them the entire time, then one guy said 'man, think of all the Belgian beer we could make from the milk out of those!'"
I'm no expert, but I don't think any Belgian beer style uses milk... I guess he got lactic acid and lactose confused?

My neighbor noticed me brewing one day and came by. Turns out he is a home brewer as well, and so we've talked here and there. There are a few golden nuggets that he has said to me.

1. The first day he came by I was brewing a helles and I gave him some of my wheat saison to try. A few weeks later as I am brewing again, he comes by and we have this conversation
Him - "Man I liked that beer you gave me so much, the helle? Well I went to the homebrew store and bought a kit. It's taking longer than I'd like with the cold fronts coming through. I've been putting it outside on warm days to get it to finish."
Me - "Oh, well... that's a lager, so it should be fermented cold... Also, it's not good to expose beer to sunlight."
Him - "Oh! Well I keep it covered when it's outside"
Me - "Just for information, the beer you tried was a saison, which incidentally likes to ferment warm"
Him - "Oh... well I'll keep an eye out for the next beer I brew!"
He said if the beer turns out decent he'd bring me some (and I'd be glad to try it). He never brought me any though.

2. I was brewing Monday again and he stopped by to ask if I wanted in on a March Madness pool.
Him - "So what are you brewing today?"
Me - "A Flanders Red"
Him - "Hmmm yea I've made a red ale before, turned out pretty good"
Me - "Well this is a bit different than a red ale, it's a sour beer"
Him - "Sour beer? What do you mean?"
Me - "Um... it's a sour beer, it has lactic acid in it"
Him - "Ah! So like a Belgian beer?"
Me - "Yea, it's a Belgian style. There's sour beers from other countries too, but they were most popular in Belgium."
Him - "So you put any milk in it?"
Me - "... no ...?"
Him (not picking up on my confused response) - "You know, there was this one time a few buddies of mine, some from the brew club I was a part of, well we were at an Astros game. We saw this lady with big 'ol knockers. We couldn't help staring at them the entire time, then one guy said 'man, think of all the Belgian beer we could make from the milk out of those!'"
I'm no expert, but I don't think any Belgian beer style uses milk... I guess he got lactic acid and lactose confused?

Dumb AND sexist?? What a guy!

tripel (that's right) rolling back spin dubbel (that's right again) flying splits downward Billy steals the "Funny things you've overheard about beer" peach! koowhakasi!!!

since it's your first $50 Billy Bucks, you get a two in one deal! are you partial to the left or the right?

Hold on, lemme ask SWMBO

Wait...cant I get one in each?

Maybe he relates lacto with lactose.
Thanks for sharing.
Aside from my brew buddies, ive only had one person come by while brewing. A roofer stopped by to get measurements and proceeded to be done upon seeing my 50ft IC. I assured him all was well and legal but I don't think he believed me.

Thanks for sharing.
Aside from my brew buddies, ive only had one person come by while brewing. A roofer stopped by to get measurements and proceeded to be done upon seeing my 50ft IC. I assured him all was well and legal but I don't think he believed me.

Delicious, delicious epoxy?

The amount of Bisphenol A that could potentially leech into the beverage inside the can is more than 450 times lower than the maximum acceptable dose.

On the other hand, I'm sure FoodBabe would pitch a fit over it. So whose side will you take? FoodBabe, or scientists? ;)

Ever worry about how much plastic is leeching from your bottle of StarSan and making it into your beer? No? Then why would you worry about can liners that have been proven food-safe?

The SWMBO and I went up north to a micro brewery that has a bent canoe paddle as its logo. All sorts of hipsters sitting around with suspenders and shaved sides of their heads drinking beer and having a good time.

Us old people walk in and and wait in line to get a couple of flights along with Nitro samples. The two hipsters behind us are talking about their selections, "Man, that last Nitro Cold Press Stout really woke me up, who knew that nitrous oxide could do that? Last time I had a cavity filled, they had me huff the stuff and I feel asleep."

My loving German (AKA, no filter) wife spun around and said, "I think you confused Nitrogen with Nitrous Oxide and I think its the coffee that woke you up last time you had it, not the nitro."

Blank look, slowly realizing his mistake, his eyes open really wide and says, "Really? The dentist used coffee to put me to sleep?

My wife just turned around and said, "God, just get me a beer, please?!?"

The amount of Bisphenol A that could potentially leech into the beverage inside the can is more than 450 times lower than the maximum acceptable dose.

On the other hand, I'm sure FoodBabe would pitch a fit over it. So whose side will you take? FoodBabe, or scientists?

Ever worry about how much plastic is leeching from your bottle of StarSan and making it into your beer? No? Then why would you worry about can liners that have been proven food-safe?

I was just giving you a hard time.
I do think some beers taste different in bottles than in cans, though. Some taste the same, but some... I dunno. White Birch Berliner Weisse used to taste great in a bottle, but since they started canning it, it just tastes... different.
Then again, the more likely explanation is that they changed the recipe about the same time they started canning, for unrelated reasons. I have, after all, seen the abv listed as two different values depending on where you look.

Thanks for sharing.

That's my guess.

I sadly don't have brewing buddies. I don't work most Fridays so I brew then (so that me and my wife have time together Saturday and Sunday). Most people work Fridays though, so even the people I talk to about brewing can't come by. Well, I do sometimes brew Thursday night (done by 2 AM), but again, doubt anyone else wants to join in.

bottles usually have a small addition of bottling yeast added, and are again 'real ale'. It is called 'bottle conditioned'. Means the customer often has to take care when pouring it.

Umm... er.......

The SWMBO and I went up north to a micro brewery that has a bent canoe paddle as its logo. All sorts of hipsters sitting around with suspenders and shaved sides of their heads drinking beer and having a good time.

Us old people walk in and and wait in line to get a couple of flights along with Nitro samples. The two hipsters behind us are talking about their selections, "Man, that last Nitro Cold Press Stout really woke me up, who knew that nitrous oxide could do that? Last time I had a cavity filled, they had me huff the stuff and I feel asleep."

My loving German (AKA, no filter) wife spun around and said, "I think you confused Nitrogen with Nitrous Oxide and I think its the coffee that woke you up last time you had it, not the nitro."

Blank look, slowly realizing his mistake, his eyes open really wide and says, "Really? The dentist used coffee to put me to sleep?

My wife just turned around and said, "God, just get me a beer, please?!?"

My wife lol'd at your wife's response! Dat's a gude von!...:tank:

well actually
...saison is french for season... :)

I do think some beers taste different in bottles than in cans, though. Some taste the same, but some... I dunno.

Yes, that much is true, but it's not from the can liner, it's because cans insulate the beer better from light and oxidation. Canned beer is fresher. Also, cans are cheaper, easier to recycle, lighter, won't shatter when dropped, don't require a special tool to open, and pack better when shipping. Objectively, they're the superior package.

My son and I shared a pitcher of Oskar Blues 'Mama's Little Yella Pils' last night at dinner (supper for those of you that think dinner is lunch). He had a friend of a friend of a friend story. A guy we know who went to Auburn's brewing school said that a guy there who met one of the head guys at OB was told, "It's not a true Pilsner. It is made with ale yeast - to speed up the process. And to get it in the keg faster."

It was good beer. My guess is that it is lagered.

My son and I shared a pitcher of Oskar Blues 'Mama's Little Yella Pils' last night at dinner (supper for those of you that think dinner is lunch). He had a friend of a friend of a friend story. A guy we know who went to Auburn's brewing school said that a guy there who met one of the head guys at OB was told, "It's not a true Pilsner. It is made with ale yeast - to speed up the process. And to get it in the keg faster."

It was good beer. My guess is that it is lagered.

Funny thing about that beer is they put "Gold Metal Winner" on it. It's a great beer, but normally you win medals, not metals.

Funny thing about that beer is they put "Gold Metal Winner" on it. It's a great beer, but normally you win medals, not metals.

I wouldn't put it past OB to have done that on purpose. Read all their cans, lots of goofy one-line type stuff going on. I'm thinking 'gold metal' because it's in a gold metal can.

Back