strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart157

Reaction score
hiya every im a complete noob at this homebrew stuff but i have got about 60 lbs of frozen strawberries from my allotment. how do i turn them into wine. how many to use per gallon how much sugar etc. please help i need it. i have also got about the same amount of rhubard as well any ideas

You are blessed to have the strawberries this year with the the lack of rain. I have used the recipe below recently. It is currently in the bottles and aging. Takes alot of fruit to make wine it seems to me...

Strawberry Wine

This recipe will make 1 gallon of wine.
Ingredients
8 lbs of raw strawberries
7 pins of water, previously boiled or bottled
2 ½ lbs of sugar
Acid blend
Yeast nutrient
Pectic enzyme
Grape tannin
Yeast -Red Curve
Campden tablets

Process
Hydrate the yeast in 1 cup of warm water (90-100F) for 10 minutes to get it going. Yeast starter.
Crush Strawberries, I blend them up in little blender, puree them.
Boil 4 pints of the water and dissolve 1 ½ lbs of sugar in it. Cool to 70F.
Once cool add this to the strawberries.
Add Yeast starter, ½ tsp acid blend, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, ½ tsp pectic enzyme, ¼ tsp grape tannin, 1 crushed campden tablet to the strawberry must, mix well.
Cover and let sit for 4-7 days.
Strain the must through a course cloth, wring out all the juice.
Boil 3 pints of water and dissolve 1 lb of sugar in it. Let cool to 70F and add to strained must.
Fix with air lock and let set till fermentation is complete. Up to 3 months.
If sufficiently clear can bottle, If not can let sit for up to 6 months to clear then bottle or dissolve ½ tsp of sparkeloid in 1 cup of water and boil for 5 minutes. Add to the wine and stir to assist clearing. Let sit for 2 weeks and then bottle.

thanks very much ill start some this weekend. as to the rain im in england the midlands just outside birmingham and it aint stopped raining for months. thats why i got loads of fruit.warm but wet

I have made a strawberry wine before using 4lbs of strawberries per gallon. It has always turned out very well ( twice so far ). It has an intense strawberry aroma and flavor. There is nothing wrong with using more fruit though.
As for the rhubarb you could make a straight rhubarb wine or do a strawberry/rhubarb blend. Last year I made a rhubarb wine that turned out fantastic! The fermentation stopped at 1.000 which helped offset the tartness of the rhubarb. If you make rhubarb wine be sure to put the sugar and chopped rhubarb into a bucket overnight (in a straining bag) then squeeze all the juice out. Throw out the pulp and only ferment the juice. If you ferment on the fruit it will get extremely bitter.

Cheers,
Brandon

If you want the very best flavor don't add any water. Dissolve your sugar in juice from the fruit. I have made sour cherry, black cherry, peach, strawberry and blueberry when all the fruits are in season this year. Just waiting on my grapes to be ready and for apple season.

If you want the very best flavor don't add any water. Dissolve your sugar in juice from the fruit. I have made sour cherry, black cherry, peach, strawberry and blueberry when all the fruits are in season this year. Just waiting on my grapes to be ready and for apple season.

How is the acid balance in your wines made this way? I always understood that using only 4lbs/gal of fruit was necessary to ensure the sugar/acid balance wasn't thrown way off. As I understand it wine grapes have just the right sugar/acid balance as well as amount of sugars to use only fruit. Whereas other fruits don't have enough sugars and too much acid to only use the juice? Perhaps I am misunderstanding part of this?

Back