Just finished by first bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChunky

Reaction score
... And I'm very happy. I bottled 3 weeks ago. Carbonation was good; however, not much head to speak of. But the taste was ever so yummy. Even SWMBO concurs. :D

If you think that bottle tasted good...wait till you have your last.

Congratulations.

Piece of advice:
1) brew more
B) Save 3-4 bottles and open them on their one-year birthday.
4) When in doubt. refer to item #1.

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Poor hed retention in your beer is often a result of oils or detergents on your glassware...use a no-rinse sanitizer (or just really hot water, no soap) and let them air dry and see if it's any better.

BierMuncher said:
If you think that bottle tasted good...wait till you have your last.

Congratulations.

Piece of advice:
1) brew more
B) Save 3-4 bottles and open them on their one-year birthday.
4) When in doubt. refer to item #1.

Thanks! About # 1... I intend to, as much as I can. :)

Bike N Brew said:
Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Poor hed retention in your beer is often a result of oils or detergents on your glassware...use a no-rinse sanitizer (or just really hot water, no soap) and let them air dry and see if it's any better.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind next time, but I didn't use soap for any of the sanitation. I used bleach + water before brewing and iodophor to disinfect the bottles. Could that cause it?

DarthChunky said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind next time, but I didn't use soap for any of the sanitation. I used bleach + water before brewing and iodophor to disinfect the bottles. Could that cause it?

No, your fine there. I'm talking about your drinking glasses, into which you poured your precious brew. Many a homebrewer has agonized over their process and ingredients tryng to figure out why they weren't ...ummm...getting any head ;) , only to find out that their beer glasses were retaining soap or detergent.

Bike N Brew said:
No, your fine there. I'm talking about your drinking glasses, into which you poured your precious brew. Many a homebrewer has agonized over their process and ingredients tryng to figure out why they weren't ...ummm...getting any head ;) , only to find out that their beer glasses were retaining soap or detergent.

Oohhh! I didn't even think about that! ... as good as the weakest link, huh? Thanks!

Back