Makeshift Carboy question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenVanned

Reaction score
I work in the pet department at my local walmart and upon getting in a shipment of auto-waterers I decided to investigate further. These small carboy like containers are made from food-safe materials. It would certianly be nice to have a smaller inexpencive carboy for smaller, experimental, or wine batches. Anyone have any knowledge of using these things?

i'm not really sure what that is. if its food safe then it should be ok. maybe post a picture or a link to what you're talking about.

What is the recycling stamp number on the bottom??? That is the info we really need.

I work in the pet department at my local walmart and upon getting in a shipment of auto-waterers I decided to investigate further. These small carboy like containers are made from food-safe materials. It would certianly be nice to have a smaller inexpencive carboy for smaller, experimental, or wine batches. Anyone have any knowledge of using these things?

Some food safe plastics can still let oxygen get in, so be careful. I read a post by Revvy once where he uses nice, inexpensive glass jars from Target (I think they were 2gal but I don't remember for sure).. I plan on buying one or two myself. I also use one gallon Sangria bottles after they are empty...

Sort of but my store has some auto waterers which are more carboy like 2.5 gallons for 8 bucks.

I use the 2.5 gallon slimline with the spigot and screw on lid for small test batches. You can drill a hole to get a gromet and airlock or blow off tube in the lid. I have even just left the lid a little loose so the gas can escape. Never had a problem yet. They are #2 PET for around $7. Do a "search" in HBT , they have been discussed before. Cheers:mug:

Latest posts

Back