Cheesecloth vs Nylon Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crj5000

Reaction score
I am newb and I did search for this but did not find anything. Everything I have read on the internet says to use nylon bags for putting pulp in while using the Primary. Will cheescloth work just as good?

Thanks ahead of time

You can use knee high nylons... wash and sanitize whatever you choose.
I buy super cheap fabric with an open weave and pale color... cut to size and sew bags as needed. These work great as primary coverings too.
I can make several bags from 2 yds of fabric.

Debbie

Thanks for all of your input. These options are eaiser and cheaper, especially since I do not have a local wine equiment store. I started my first batch of wine last night. It is the frozen strawberry recipe from Jack Keller.

Craig

Sometimes it just takes an idea from someone else to get you thinking about options!!

Good Luck!

Debbie

Thanks for all of your input. These options are eaiser and cheaper, especially since I do not have a local wine equiment store. I started my first batch of wine last night. It is the frozen strawberry recipe from Jack Keller.

Craig
His #'s per gallon is way LOW for Strawberry.
I use 6-7#'s per gallon. Remember, its mostly water in strawberry. Unlike Blueberry which has alot less water.
Consider a f-pac and back sweetening.

Back