Mash Temp - Accounting for Loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
If I lose about 4 degress over the course of my mash, what is my mash temp? For example, if I hit 152 at the start and finish at 148, should I consider 150 my mash temp?

Temperatures are only a reference point. If you consistently lose 4 degrees what you should take away from each brew is "My mash started at X temp and I got Y attenuation with Z yeast."

I agree with Mbasile, but would add that you would be making a unique situation that would be different than any single temp mash. Maybe not better or worse but different. Also I don't think it's bad or wrong to have gradual temp flux.

I would just shoot for the temp to start. Most of the conversion is done in the earlier part of the mash, so the temp is more important at the beginning, but just take good notes on temps and try to insulate the mash tun more if possible. I don't think a few degrees is a big deal, but its something I'd work on. I had a really crappy mash tun when I first started(very thin and lost temp pretty bad)-i bought an igloo ice cube and I don't lose a single degree the whole mash. Its great!

If I lose about 4 degress over the course of my mash, what is my mash temp? For example, if I hit 152 at the start and finish at 148, should I consider 150 my mash temp?

Depends. If you used a large portion of base malt with strong enzyme content (like 2-row or pilsner), then it probably converted 90-95% before the 45 min. mark. So, a straight average won't be exact. So, probably 151 would be something to input into brewing software. So, not a big difference. If you are using all Munich malt or something, or a lot of adjuncts, maybe then you could think of it as 150. If a recipe called for 152, you could start at 153 and basically get the same wort profile as someone who is at 152 the whole 60 min, imo.

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll keep working to improve the stability of my temps, but it's good to have an idea of the conversion timing until then. Thanks.

Back