SUCCESS! Blackberry Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monstar

Reaction score
Just finished bottling my very first brew! It was all grain, AND I used blackberries, and it tastes friggin awesome. I feel so lucky that it turned out great, I didn't do much research until after I had already brewed it, and was worried I had gotten in over my head and that I must have fricked SOMETHING up.

I guess there is still time for the bottles to all explode or something, but I was super anal about sanitizing and such so I think I'm home free :D

Anyway, just stoked! Hurray for homebrewing!

I got the pack from BrooklynBrewShop.com. Really cool site, easy to follow instructions.

The only thing is that since then I have done three more all grain recipes that I found on the internet and put together the grain bill myself at the brew shop. Im kinda bummed that I don't know what was actually in the bag of grains that they sent me. All I know for sure is hops schedule and how to make the blackberry syrup. I made a blackberry syrup out of 1/4 cup sugar and water and 1 cup of blackberries and mixed it into the wort after the boil. The hops schedule was like this:

60 min- East Kent Golding Hops
30 min- East Kent Golding Hops
5 min - Cascade Hops

AND it used Nottingham ale yeast. They gave no gravity readings, bitterness... anything.

On Wednesday I'm gonna bottle my brown ale, and I think I'm going to try to make it myself from a regular Irish Red Ale recipe. I know I'm gonna want more when its gone haha.

ALSO I racked it to secondary after a week and left in in there for 2 more weeks.

Back