Honey Bee Imperial India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
4 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Dry, floral, citrus IIPA with a unique honey and floral hop aroma.
The dextrose and honey were added to primary after the initial fermentation started to wind down. I dry hopped directly in primary. I used an artisanal honey from western minnesota that I get from a local specialty store.

Aroma - spice, flowers, faint citrus

color - crystal clear light copper

head - the pound of wheat gives it a fantastic head

taste - initial flavor that hits the pallete is an herbal/botanistic type of flavor that is indicitive of hops and raw honey. As the beer goes down you get hit with a sharp/dry bitterness....very inditicive of a dry german ale, like a strong kolsh or something like that. As you finish the sip, the alcohol becomes apparent and you are primed for the next gulp!

notes - this beer is easily a rebrew, the only change I would make....would be that I would probably remove the willamete as I think it is just getting drowned out.....I would sub centtenial ounce for ounce and up the IBU's and get this beer happy and hoppy. Still a great beer.....24 bottles are gone after the first week I put it in my beer fridge.......everybody loves it.

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.03 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.08 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.08 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 16.1 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 6.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.56 %
0.70 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.26 %

Mash for 60 minutes at 154

I really like the sound of this one, by my quick calculations you got around 8.3 abv sound right? I think I might give it a try, hopefully I wont get in over my head!!!! I really want to do an imperial ipa but I just got started in brewing. How hard would you say this one was to complete?

Yes, the Abv is about right, and this beer is not difficult to brew at all. Give it a shot!

I think I will. Do you remember what you spent on your ingredients? I might pick your brain on this one a bit, just let me know if I start bugging you. Also what are your thoughts on the whole change in recipe thing?

I don't spend much on my ingrediants. I buy all my hops by the pound, and I wash yeast so that cost is minimal.

I the grain bill and adjuncts are what make this recipe so cool....let me know what hops you have to use and I can surely come up with a great recipe for ya.

Cool, I have no hops. I will be getting whatever I need fresh from the lhbs. I am only a week into this hobby.

Back