What is this infection called? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdleedahl

Reaction score
I had to crack open my primary to add amylase enzymes, after 26 days from the start of fermentation (because I was sold some bad DME that apparently had WAY to many unfermentable sugars) and this appeared in it the next day. I siphoned it to an old plastic carboy after all that stuff appeared so I could clean out the primary and use it again, so this is a pic looking in through the next of the carboy. It's a bad picture because its from my cell phone.

but it is definitely infected, and i want to know what this infection is called?

img00042wg.jpg

Amylase creates fermentable sugars, and your yeast is probably getting active & creating CO2 again. That doesn't look like an infection to me.

I'd let it go & rack out from under that "skin" if it is still there once you're ready to rack/bottle/keg.

What was your Gravity reading before you added the Alpha Amalyze ? Where the heck is Saskatoon, SK ?

Where the heck is Saskatoon, SK ?

Canada champ...

But like I said, my picture is bad, there are large (3 inches diameter) white bubbles protruding out of the wort, it is definitely infected...

OG was 1.042, after 26 days it was 1.030 and done... I know it was bad DME because the amylase enzymes worked perfectly for an IPA i did with the same DME that got stuck because of unfermentable sugars

I've had beers get a "skin" on the top, and there was no off-flavor or infection to deal with.

yeah - 1.030 sounds pretty high for an 1.042 OG.

Did you taste any of your hydrometer samples? I really don't think you've got an infection. I think you're just blowing some C02 bubbles. Big ones. Infections looks like clumps, spider webs, or green floating things. Kinda like this, eh?:

infection.jpg

Doesn't look like that, has a skin covering the entire top, and the hydrometer sample tastes slightly sour, but maybe that taste is a little in my head because it just looks so disgusting...

anyways can someone name these infections?

yeah sorta but it is all white bubbles, not "orangy" like in that picture. keep in mind that cell phone picture was just in the center of the carboy and those big bubbles are spread throughout it

Back