First Batch Is In The Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the subject says, my first batch is now in the bottles. Overall everything went well but a couple of things I've learned:

1) Siphons stink - I'm spending the $8.95 on an automatic siphon starter
2) Bottles stink - I already have a kegerator so I'm getting a corny plus attachments

I was wondering what the typical yield is when all is said and done. I boiled 3 gallons for the wort and added 2.5 to fill up the primary fermentor. In the end I had only 17 Franziskahner and 16 regulation bottles full which if I'm doing my math correctly is 17 * 16.9 + 16 * 12 = 479.3 oz = 3.75 gals.

I did have several false starts with the siphon and wasn't as efficient with getting everything off of the trub when moving to secondary but that seems like a lot of missing beer.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Andy

Get yourself a carboy cap (assuming you are using a carboy). Read Walker-San's thread here... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910

These things are awesome, they make starting a siphon a complete non-issue. I'm also going to purchase an in-line filter soon to minimize the chance (slim) of contamination. Very, very easy to use as long as you are either racking from or into a carboy (which if you are using a carboy as a secondary fermenter, you always will be).

My first batch came up a little short volume-wise from what I expected, I think because I ended up leaving more behind when racking than I should have. Techniques improve over time.

Back