Sam Adams Double Bock - I need to make something like this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops-a-Lot

Reaction score
I just had a Sam Adams Double Bock (from their Imperial Collection) and I absolutely loved it. I had better like it for almost $10/4-pack! It is about as malty as I think I would like without being over the top syrupy sweet and now I want to make a similar style. Does anyone have any suggestions for a partial/mini mash recipe on this one? It was 9.5% ABV and pure heaven.:D

I think you're talking about the Triple Bock if it's part of the Imperial Collection.

The double is definitely in the imperial series, I recently had some as well.

I have no recipe but I know you will need lagering capabilities if you want to do it right.

Sam Adams Triple Bock was a failed experiment in the 90s. No one should ever clone that beer. Ever.

I haven't had the Double Bock, but I'm guessing it is worlds better than that vile stuff in the little blue bottle.

I would completely disagree on that triple bock statement. For one it was instrumental in pushing the boundaries of what could be done with high abv beers, and very influential on lots of great high abv beers that are made today.

Also a lot depends on the circumstances of each bottle, when it was aged, how it was stored, which batch it was from.

Having been fortunate enough to have several from different batches and aged in proper cellars over the years I can tell you there are some great bottles and some terrible bottles out there.

Unfortunatly most people have only had the 97 batch and base their whole opinion on that version, stay away from the 97 batch at this point, but the last 94's and 95's I had were still very, very good over at decade old in proper storage.

Did the kit actually have munich malt? I noticed according to the SA website the only malts used in it are Pale 2-row & C60. I've not tried the stuff yet, but I've really enjoyed real german doppelbocks. One of these days I'll sample a bottle of double bock.

I did the partial mash since it was only my 3rd or 4th brew so I don’t know what they use for the all grain. I would just send them a email and I am sure they will tell you what the grain bill is. To be honest their kit ruined my taste for the actual stuff. I still have 20-30 bottles that I bought when SA released the Imp Series DBL Bk that after I brewed the kit I found mine to be much smoother and balanced than the real thing.

I got to try this one last evening. I was surprised by the maltiness having already mentioned SA's reported grain bill. Decent brew, but a bit pricey compared to equally decent doppelbocks.

They used to make a toned down 7.5% version that they sold in 6pks for the same price as the regular Sam Adams line, I thought it was a bargain then, and actually preferred that version.

I just tried this tonight for the first time. The label says "half a pound of malt in each bottle". According my calculations, that's the equivalent of 26.5 lbs of malt in a 5 gallon batch. That's impossible. Either their efficiency sucks (doubtful), or their final gravity is like 1.075...also doubtful. I'm sort of obsessing over this claim, but really, it's a great beer!

I meant it was impossible for the alcohol content they claim (9.5%), unless Sam Adams has a much lower efficiency than I do (I get about 78%), or the FG was literally 1.075...no way. I'm just trying to hypothesize what's going on with this beer, assuming everything the bottle says is accurate. I've also brewed with as much as 24 lbs, but that's for 6g, and the alcohol was well over 10%. (I think it was around 11.5%, I need to check my notes).

IIRC it did mention they only use first runnings of the mash, so I would think that 22-25 lb per 5 gal batch is within reason.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I wonder if the use the second runnings for anything? :)

this is the beer that claims to have a pound of malt in every bottle correct?

If so I have a bottle left from over a year ago from when I was in Boston. That **** was vile. Probably the only beer I've bought that I simply could not drink.

This one claims half a pound in each bottle. And it is delicious. If you had the dreaded "blue bottle" Triple Bock, that truly is some vile, vile stuff!

I want to do this, but obtain the ingredients from my LHBS. Can you find the recipe?

Mini Mash Recipe

OG 1.090
FG 1.018

Grains:
1 3/4 lb 2-row
8 oz munich
5 oz cara Munich
14 oz crystal 60L
1 1/2oz chocolate

Steep 155* for 45 minutes strain with 170* water

Extract
9 LB pale
12oz Malto Dextrin

Hops 60 minuite boil
1 oz hallertau (60)
1 oz tettnang (60)

Hops 15 minute boil
1 oz hallertau (15)
1 oz tettnang (15)

Yeast/Lager
WL 838
Wyeast 2206

Pitch around 70* lower temp and ferment cold if possible 52* or so for about 7-10 days and slowly raise once fermentation nears the end to about 70 to finish up. I put my in secondary for about 6 weeks at 38* then bottled.

how about samiclaus, 14% of pure goodness

Samiclause.jpg

images

I picked up a bomber of this at a corner store on my street for under 3 bucks. Currently drinking it for the first time and am SHOCKED at how much it tastes like one of my early (and first high grav) batches. It was not a lager, and the hops were not even close...and for that matter, the malt (all extract in this case) was way off. I used nothing but wheat extract (Briess I believe) and dextrose for the fermentables...so really nothing similar at all...but yet, almost identical in taste and appearance.

Mini Mash Recipe

OG 1.090
FG 1.018

Grains:
1 3/4 lb 2-row
8 oz munich
5 oz cara Munich
14 oz crystal 60L
1 1/2oz chocolate

Steep 155* for 45 minutes strain with 170* water

Extract
9 LB pale
12oz Malto Dextrin

Hops 60 minuite boil
1 oz hallertau (60)
1 oz tettnang (60)

Hops 15 minute boil
1 oz hallertau (15)
1 oz tettnang (15)

Yeast/Lager
WL 838
Wyeast 2206

Pitch around 70* lower temp and ferment cold if possible 52* or so for about 7-10 days and slowly raise once fermentation nears the end to about 70 to finish up. I put my in secondary for about 6 weeks at 38* then bottled.

Has anyone else tried this recipe and can comment on the result?

Thanks!

Back