My beer is now bubbling..One more question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkParty

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for you replies yesterday.

It turns out everybody who replied was right. My beer started fermenting in earnest at hour 28. I just have one more question. The fermenting was so vigarous that my airlock had a bit of an overflow. I removed the airlock and attached a sanitized blowoff tube and placed the other end in a jar. Was this the wrong move? I was told that the whole fermentation process should be isolated from the outside air. Yet I read somewhere else that if you get an overflow in the first three days that you should attach a blowoff tube.

Am I right to be worried about contamination with blow off tubes????

-ArkParty

As long as you sanitized everything, you should be good to go. I always use a blow off tube. Just a big 1" tube jammed into the mouth of the carboy running down into leftover sanitizing solution in one of the buckets I use.

The loose end of tube needs to be under water to keep air from coming in, although I think a bigger container than this should be used. :D

Fermenting.jpg

gruntingfrog said:
The loose end of tube needs to be under water to keep air from coming in, although I think a bigger container than this should be used. :D

Fermenting.jpg

Or at least a rubber band or something to keep the tube from getting out of the water. Can't see anything wrong in the setup though:)

Beer Snob said:
Or at least a rubber band or something to keep the tube from getting out of the water. Can't see anything wrong in the setup though:)
I can...How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?

I have all my carboys in milk crates (w/several layers of carboard in the bottom of the crate for cushioning)...just trying to help...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I can...How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?

I have all my carboys in milk crates (w/several layers of carboard in the bottom of the crate for cushioning)...just trying to help...:D

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. So far I've been puting the carboy on a rubbermaid top and slidding it from the kitchen to the living room. Needs something that works better certainly. Might try the milkcrate next time. In Brew Ware" they show a simple setup with some wood and casters on the bottom... seems easy enough.

homebrewer_99 said:
How do you carry that carboy off of the cement driveway?

I actually have no idea. That's not my setup. I just found the picture on the internet somewhere so I could post an example.

Maybe the guy has telekinetic powers!!! :D

chask31 said:
I just lift my carboy bare handed...is that a bad idea as long as my hands are dry? One hand on the bottom and one on the neck.

That's what I do, but I only carry it about 6 feet from the closet to the kitchen. If I had to go farther or up/down stairs I would invenst in a carboy carrier to avoid stirring up the junk on the bottom that I have waited so long to settle out!

I buy the carboy carriers that are a 'net' of nylon straps. Easy to use, not very expensive and does a really good job of dispersing the weight/aiding in control even walking up and down stairs.

Back