Thread Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustlebird

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently replaced my kitchen faucet, with one thats head pulls out as a sprayer (an American Standard Fairbury model). Anyway, I need a barb so I can hook my immersion cooler to it, but I just can't seem to find the barb. I tried emailing american standard, but they simply said 'other attachments aren't recommended and are incompatible with that faucet'. Great help right? I tried going to home depot, but they seem to only have NPT fittings... So that brings me here, asking for your help. I've tried to include pictures I thought were relevant. Thanks in advanced!

thread count.jpg

width.jpg

Maybe it would be easier to install a tee fitting in the supply line under the sink. Then you don't have to worry about identifying that thread size, finding a fitting to match, and possibly damaging those plastic threads when you take the head off and put it back on each time you brew. Not an answer to the question you asked, but that is what I would do.

I agree with the adding a fitting. Those threads might not be a nominal size. Some companies make threads odd number of threads per inch on purpose. You should be able to go to hardware store and get a thread pitch gauge. Otherwise google it and buy one online.

Maybe it would be easier to install a tee fitting in the supply line under the sink. Then you don't have to worry about identifying that thread size, finding a fitting to match, and possibly damaging those plastic threads when you take the head off and put it back on each time you brew. Not an answer to the question you asked, but that is what I would do.

Thats brilliant! Not sure why I hadn't thought of that myself. I'll have to go poke around home depot today, see if I can get a hose adapter t'd off the cold line. That should work awesome!

Revvy, I haven't actually tried the garden hose sink adapter because the pictures shown are actually the areator portion, the sink has female threads that this head screws into.

The faucet side (where i'd be screwing into) is metal, so thats why I didn't really worry to much. The threads shown in the picture are the ones I need to replicate in order to tie into the sink.

Revvy, I haven't actually tried the garden hose sink adapter because the pictures shown are actually the areator portion, the sink has female threads that this head screws into.

The faucet side (where i'd be screwing into) is metal, so thats why I didn't really worry to much. The threads shown in the picture are the ones I need to replicate in order to tie into the sink.

The garden hose/sink adapter is all you need if you have female threads on your sink.
Remove the airator replace with the adapter and voila you have garden hose threads for your chiller.

The T off the cold line makes for a more versatile and permenant solution IMO though.

Back