Oldest U.S. Beer Maker, Yuengling, Eyes Expansion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was reported on Npr this morning.

November 15, 2010 from WITF

Click to Listen

pottsville.jpg

When you think American beer, you might think Budweiser, or Miller. But neither of those is American-owned anymore. Like many big-name brews, they've been bought up by overseas companies.

One of the biggest American beer makers is a lesser-known regional beer company, D.G. Yuengling and Son — the country's oldest beer maker. Founded by a German immigrant in Pennsylvania 181 years ago, it's still run by the Yuengling family, and it's still growing.

Although Dick Yuengling (pronounced "ying-ling") has one foot stepping toward the future, the other is rooted firmly in the past. That's evident when the 67-year-old walks into the company's original brewery in downtown Pottsville, Pa.

"It's what I grew up with, and most breweries in the United States that were built like this in this era are all gone; there's only a few left," Yuengling says.

As he walks beneath a maze of black pipes carrying ingredients, Yuengling explains that his company has tried to carve out a niche on the craft beer market.

"There's nothing wrong with the national brands," he says. "We just make beer that is for a select group of people that want to buy a beer at the right price and with good taste and character to it."

Yuengling sells its beer in 13 states across the East and the District of Columbia — and its fifth-generation owner does not foresee a day when Yuengling would become a national brand.

"You don't want to just go out there and throw beer into a marketplace and hope you succeed, because it's a formula for failure, in our opinion," he says.

Despite that mantra, Yuengling has seen dramatic growth in recent decades.

The company bought its second facility — a brewery in Tampa, Fla. — a little more than a decade ago. Then a third — the modern Mill Creek facility in Pennsylvania — went online a couple years later.

Production soared — to 2.2 million barrels last year. The company has signed a letter of intent to buy another brewery in Memphis, Tenn., which could produce another 5 million barrels a year. But Yuengling's chief operating officer says the plan would be to start out slow.

Craig Purser, president and CEO of the National Beer Wholesalers Association, says strategy and discipline have been a constant with the company. Purser says another key to success is the versatility of Yuengling's signature lager.

"You will see it available at a blue-collar working person's bar or restaurant in Pennsylvania's coal country," he says. "Yet you'll also see it as a choice at a white-tablecloth restaurant in Philadelphia."

Purser says Yuengling's well-marketed role as "America's oldest brewery" is certainly part of its consumer appeal.

That sense of nostalgia is not lost on visitors to the historic building in Pottsville, where the smell of roasted grain fills the air and helps tell the company's story.

"It's amazing to see all the history and stuff," says Brad Kramer of Allentown, who toured the brewery recently.

"Ever since I was little, my parents always drank Yuengling. ... Now I do because of them, so they got me hooked on it," he says.

Dick Yuengling is preparing the sixth generation of Yuenglings — his four daughters — to take over the family business.

On the brewery tour, one of the most commonly asked questions is about succession.

"Are any of the daughters married?" asks one visitor.

But Dick Yuengling says he has no plans to retire anytime soon.

I'm from PA. I've been to the brewery on a tour. People in that state drink a lot of damn Yuengling. I like it a lot. It was my staple beer at the bars during college. I consider yuengling my favorite "Light Beer."

I went to undergrad in PA and Yuengling was a nice break from the Beast Light, Natural light, etc. at the frat parties. It's good to see a family business carve out a niche and stay successful for so long. Unfortunately I can't get yingers out here in AZ, but I'm moving back east in July and looking forward to a bottle or two when I arrive.

I've never tried any, it hasn't made it to the Detroit area. But I'm looking forward to the expansion so hopefully stuff will come our way. Not only is it the true Oldest American Brewery, but it is one of the few regional breweries that has survived the 80's and the 2,000's takeovers, and managed to hold it's own against the BMC's.....I've give them kudos!

Also from PA here and Yuengling is so popular around this area that it has come synonymous with "lager." If you're ordering at a bar, and you ask for a lager, that is what you get. Yuengling.

It's definitely a step in the more flavorful direction from the standard BMC fare and it'd be great to see them expand distribution a bit.

I will gladly drink a Yuengling over BMC but their beers don't really stand out to me. They fall somewhere below Sam Adams and above BMC in my book. I think their lager (an amber) is a great gateway beer for those wanting to move beyond your typical light american lagers.

My favorite "cheap" beer. Recently had their porter and was blown away. Just wish they had pop tops so I could save all those damn bottles.

my buddy just went to chattanooga for a weekend. had him bring me back a case of the traditional lager. i really like the faint sweetness imparted by the corn. i'm not in for adjunct brewing usually, but in this instance, the corn enhances rather than detracts from the overall profile and experience. it's not the best beer i've ever had, but it's damn good. i really hope distribution makes it to IN. i've sent them probably 10 emails requesting it (maybe 2 sober).

I drank a ton of Yuengling when work had me spending some time on the east coast. I'd love if it came to Chicago.

This is pretty cool to hear. Yuengling is definitely one of my 'go-to' brews. I have always referred to them as 'Jang-langs'. It is a great light beer. And good for them sticking to their guns! It makes me appreciate them that much more.

They try to market this beer in NY as a craft beer or premium beer. It is neither.

Having grown up and gone to college in PA, and now they have expanded to all of the east coast, I actually forgot that you couldn't get it everywhere. I feel as though I have taken them for granted and suddenly I wanna stop at a gas station on the way home and pick up a 6er of yingers. Sorry to those out there that can't get it. I'll gladly trade anyone that wants it for a bottle of pliny though! :D

I live two blocks from the Mill creek brewery and about a mile from the Original Pottsville location. Can smell them brewing anytime I open my front door. They just recently (Read last week) installed what looked to be a bunch of bright tanks. They were larger then a semi. Too bad it's dark so early now or I would grab some pictures after work.
My dad is a woodworker and made a bar top for one of the daughers with each label CNC'd into the top of the bar. If your in the area. Do the tour, very cool and historic. Their lager is very good as well as there porter and Chesterfield ale. Known as "Chetty" around here. Premium and Premium light aren't bad, just not my choice.

IMG00019-20100316-2043.jpg

IMG00018-20100316-2043.jpg

IMG00013-20100316-2042.jpg

IMG00017-20100316-2043.jpg

I want to see them expand into Kentucky. They practically have to drive it through our state to get it into Tennessee, but we can't get it.

I want to see them expand into Kentucky. They practically have to drive it through our state to get it into Tennessee, but we can't get it.

The only place in Kentucky I've seen it is in the shopettes on Ft. Campbell. It's 11 bucks for a 12 pack.

Give them time; we started to ship some steel a couple of weeks ago for the expansion to the 'new' brewery and around the first of the year or so the walls will start to be erected.... FWIW; if you are in the area take the tour, it isn't the greatest show on earth or anything like that, but it was a darn good time with a ton of history....

Thanks for the report Revi...Im willing to bet that they are talking about opening the old Coors' Brewery here in town. It closed down around 2005 or so. If you guys remember, Blue Moon used to say Golden, CO and Memphis, TN as its two brewing facilities. It was a reference to the Coors Brewery here in town. That would be cool for them to make Yeungling here and it would be good for the city both economically and culturally. Trust me, this city needs everything it can get.
-Jefe-

I stumbled upon a 6 pack of Yuengling in the local gas station. Lucky me :)

Glad to know they're expanding and that they have a brewery in Tampa. Might have to visit sometime.

We get the Black and Tan here in NC, and the Lager and Light. I have seen the Porter I think, but that's about it. I like it - good stuff. Wish the bottles were not twisties though - I have shied away from any bottles I cannot reuse. But I do get the Lager Cans for fishing trips :)

Their black and tan is very nice. They definitely make a suite of my go to inexpensive beers.

We get the Black and Tan here in NC, and the Lager and Light. I have seen the Porter I think, but that's about it. I like it - good stuff. Wish the bottles were not twisties though - I have shied away from any bottles I cannot reuse. But I do get the Lager Cans for fishing trips :)

The premium bottles are pop top. At least around here they are.

I'm drinking a Yuengling right now (as an inexpensive way of keeping me from drinking a too-green keg of SNPA clone that is sitting in my kitchen kegerator calling my name...). Born in Philly, but live in Richmond now and I'm constantly amazed how cheap you can buy it here. I usually pay $7.99 for a 12-pack. Big props to a brewery that stays true to itself and remains affordable.

I've never tried any, it hasn't made it to the Detroit area. But I'm looking forward to the expansion so hopefully stuff will come our way. Not only is it the true Oldest American Brewery, but it is one of the few regional breweries that has survived the 80's and the 2,000's takeovers, and managed to hold it's own against the BMC's.....I've give them kudos!

I went on their tour in PA about 5 years ago. The tour guide was very informative and it was a cool history lesson. When it was done, I asked if they had plans to expand our way (aka Michigan). The tour guide answered, "Not in your lifetime." I was about 24 when I was there.

Take that for what it's worth.

I did bring back 8 cases of their beer. I wish I didn't grab any Premium or Lager since the other three were much better.

MoreBeer.jpg

Also from PA here and Yuengling is so popular around this area that it has come synonymous with "lager." If you're ordering at a bar, and you ask for a lager, that is what you get. Yuengling.
I grew up in PA. Until I pointed out the beer geek humor in the local "lager" jargon, my Dad thought nothing of it. He likes to joke about it now.

I like Yuengling. It's not great, but it's good. If it's on tap along with the usual selection of unappealing mass marketed swill, I'll happily order one. It has just enough flavor for me. Hell, if I made a lager that good, I'd be pretty happy.

Cool to hear they may expand a bit. 2.2 mil barrels over 13 mid Atlantic states is simply insane. :off: Dicks stepdaughter, his only of the 6 daughters interested in taking over, is my wifes good friend. She is down at the tampa site (sounds like a great gig) She was actually in our wedding and they sent us a sick ass bar mirror signed by dicky himself :fro:

Best story is from a brewery tour - and that's definitely worth doing if you are up that way. Dick Yeungling wanted to be able to spend time in Florida, especially in the winter, which (they asserted during the tour) is why he bought the brewery in Tampa. It's an old Stroh's or Heilmann brewery, something like that.

+1 on the various comments about how in Eastern PA, if you order a lager, it means Yeungling. Hey. that's just how it is.

Edit - before craft and micros were so universally available, my regular was Chesterfield Ale.

I am a Pennslyvanian transplant living in Las Vegas. Yuengling porter is one of my favorites. I've looked here in Nevada, nobody carries it though.

Back