Starter lag time??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
Is there a lag time for a starter like a full batch fermentation? I pitched a vial of WLP833 into a 24oz starter last night (was going to step up one more time) and have had no activity as of yet.

The yeast keeps piling up at the bottom of the jar and nothing. No Krausen, no bubbles, nada.

Did I get a bad vial? Or is it time to RDWHAHB and wait it out another day?

Shake the starter and see if Co2 bubbles come out of it. Its good for the yeast anyhow.

One more day... :)

David

uh..if yeast keeps "piling on the bottom" that more than likely means it is reproducing....Out of every dozen starters I have made, I have only actually seen one krauzen on it, And yet, ALL the starters made beer for me.

Just like in the fermenter, fermentation isn't always dynamic...

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

Thanks guys. One more day it is then. I have a backup plan with SWMBO headed through the big city on Saturday to save my hide (you have to plan ahead when you live in the sticks :D) so no trouble giving it another 24-48.

BTW: gel pack showed up warm with the order and I don't suspect for a second that this particular supplier sent an unfrozen gel pack or somehow compromised yeast. It is summer in TX...

Back