cool keg and condition period,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello,
First time I keg my beer and will forced carbonate also. I am kegging and forced carbonate, I put my keg immediately in refrigerator and tap some glasses a day later. Will my beer in the keg continue to "calm" or condition while in refrigerator?
My first fermentation: 10 days
Second: 7 days
Keg and put in refrigerator.

Thanks.

Not sure of your question, but one day probably wasn't enough to condition your beer.

It will continue to absorb CO2 (condition) until the gas saturation reaches equilibrium with the CO2 pressure. Usually, setting your CO2 pressure to 12 pounds or so and waiting a week or so will condition your beer nicely. You can accelerate the process by shaking the keg while it is under pressure.

Janx said:
It will continue to absorb CO2 (condition) until the gas saturation reaches equilibrium with the CO2 pressure. Usually, setting your CO2 pressure to 12 pounds or so and waiting a week or so will condition your beer nicely. You can accelerate the process by shaking the keg while it is under pressure.
If you shake your keg, be sure to disconnect the gas line from the keg first. If you leave it hooked up, beer will flow into the line and your regulator if you are not careful. I know this because it happened to me.

Thank you for your responses. My question is will my beer conditioned if I put the keg inside refrigerator, as opposed to leaving the keg outside in room temperature.

Thanks.

RichBrewer said:
If you shake your keg, be sure to disconnect the gas line from the keg first. If you leave it hooked up, beer will flow into the line and your regulator if you are not careful. I know this because it happened to me.

Actually, no...you want to leave it attached. Don't allow beer to flow downhill into the reg, but it's important the gas is attached because as you shake more CO2 will enter solution due to the increased surface area. Without the pressure on the beer, you'll be doing harm or nothing at all in terms of conditioning.

calman said:
Thank you for your responses. My question is will my beer conditioned if I put the keg inside refrigerator, as opposed to leaving the keg outside in room temperature.

Thanks.

You can only force carbonate beer if it is cold. The solubility of CO2 increases as you chill the beer. So, it will only work in the fridge and not (very well) at room temperature.

Janx said:
Actually, no...you want to leave it attached. Don't allow beer to flow downhill into the reg, but it's important the gas is attached because as you shake more CO2 will enter solution due to the increased surface area. Without the pressure on the beer, you'll be doing harm or nothing at all in terms of conditioning.

Won't the keg stay pressurized?

Janx said:
If you leave it connected you WILL get beer in your gas line. The best thing to do is to pressurize it, disconnect the gas line at the keg, shake the keg, then reconnect the gas line. You will hear the CO2 entering the keg. When it stops flowing disconnect the line and keep repeating until you don't here the gas entering the keg any more.

i had mine hooked up to gas, and did the shake method. i didnt get any beer into my gas line or regulator.

Back