Instructions on building an AG brew rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good website that shows you step by step how to build a basic brew rig including all the parts and supplies you would need? I have recently started thinking about getting into the AG side of brewing instead of extract. It has me very intrigued to say the least.

You don't need to build anything to get started. Just a table, some cinder blocks, couple of kettles, couple of burners, a cooler MLT.

I recommend giving it a try before building a sculpture or rig. It can give you some insight on what you really like or need as you brew.

BrewSetup.jpg

This is all you really need to make to break into AG initially.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

You'll also need to boil the full amount of wort, so for 5 gal batches you'll probably need a bigger pot and burner, although you can always scale down your batch sizes for the time being. You can pick up everything else as you go. AG is fun and rewarding (and addicting :D ), you won't look back.

I already have a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot that I have been using. I also have a SS 15.5 Keg that I need to find someone to cut the top out for me so I can use to boil.

Thanks for the link and all the information. It's really intimidating as I don't know of anyone else in my area that brews, much less AG. So, I am kind of on my own other than here.

MediaMikes said:
I already have a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot that I have been using. I also have a SS 15.5 Keg that I need to find someone to cut the top out for me so I can use to boil.

Thanks for the link and all the information. It's really intimidating as I don't know of anyone else in my area that brews, much less AG. So, I am kind of on my own other than here.
It sounds like you are well on your way, then. Add an MLT and you are ready to go.

Don't be too intimidated by it all -- I had nobody to show me what to do, and I was intimidated by AG brewing -- until I actually did a batch. Then I realized it wasn't hard at all. There is more detail in the process, for sure, but there are lots of great books and a nearly endless supply of advice you can obtain here at HBT. There is no need to feel like you are 'on your own'!

Cheers, and best of luck! :)

There's several good videos both here and on you-tube that are pretty cool if you don't have a mentor. It's the next best thing to having some one show you in person.

jfish63 said:
what part of the world are you from? I only know of 3 other people in my area.
+1. Tell us where you are at. Heck you may just be down the street...

As for an AG setup. Just get that keggle made and an MLT made up. Then just use tables and what ever you can find to get the heights for now.

Although, I built my rig before doing my first AG. But I made mine out of wood so it's easy to change and it was cheap.

I live in Amarillo, TX which is located in the top portion of the Texas Panhandle. I am ready to get my keg made into a keggle, but don't know where to take it to get the top cut out. Would a machine shop be a place to look? I don't have to tools or I would do it my self.

I have actually been watching some videos on AG brewing and it really doesn't seem to bad at all. I just need to get the process down and I think i would be fine. :mug:

You are right it can be confusing at first.

John Palmer's book How to Brew is good

A book called Brew Ware was also helpful to me and gave me some ideas on things I could build my self.

Once you know the names of things you want such as a Mash Tun you can search the web for ideas too.

The magazine BYO (Brew Your Own) has a magazine with an issue for beginning brewer and winemakers.

Get some catalogs from Northern Brewer and Midwest for ideas on what is commercially available.

You need something to heat the water to mash with and in, some kind of Mash tun, something to boil the wort in, something to cool the wort down. I'm assuming you know how to ferment.

This is a great thread. Really simplifies it down to just necessities for us wanting to make the jump but are still intimidated.
Just when I think "Just go for it, it's simple, I start thinking about all the things such as calculating sparge volumes and temps and I freak out again.

One thing that was very intimidating for me to keep me from going AG was all the math involved. Then I found out there's software made that'll do all the math for you! Promash and Beersmith are good programs to have, and I believe tastybrew.com has some recipe generators on it.

EvilTOJ said:
One thing that was very intimidating for me to keep me from going AG was all the math involved. Then I found out there's software made that'll do all the math for you! Promash and Beersmith are good programs to have, and I believe tastybrew.com has some recipe generators on it.

I would never have made the jump without Beersmith crunching numbers for me. Don't forget a good thermometer, preferably one you can calibrate.

I put this article together on our Wiki some time ago, but it covers the few basic elements you need to purchase assuming you are already an extract brewer:

Going All Grain

I would recommend purchasing a Phils false bottom for your cooler - makes conversion to a mash tun very easy.

Cheers!
Brad

EdWort said:
You don't need to build anything to get started. Just a table, some cinder blocks, couple of kettles, couple of burners, a cooler MLT.

I recommend giving it a try before building a sculpture or rig. It can give you some insight on what you really like or need as you brew.

BrewSetup.jpg

I use something similar, with a folding scaffold from Pep Boys in place of the cinder blocks.

Works great!

tm

Back