can you rack 5 gallons bucket primary to 3 gallon glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberErik

Reaction score
What is the volume loss typically on a 5 gallon bucket batch after primary fermentation. I bought a buddy's 3 gallon glass carboy and I'd like to try a secondary. Anyone know how much liquid volume you get back?

CyberErik said:
What is the volume loss typically on a 5 gallon bucket batch after primary fermentation. I bought a buddy's 3 gallon glass carboy and I'd like to try a secondary. Anyone know how much liquid volume you get back?

That depends, but dont be afraid to rack 2.5 gallons into secondary and maybe dry hop, and let the other 2.5 sit untill is ready to bottle. Then on bottling day you will have 2 different beers out of the same batch. Its fun to experiment....

Depends on how much was in the bucket. If it was 5 gallons of good beer, you can expect to lose two gallons trying to put the beer in a 3 gallon carboy...Not sure if that is something I would be ok with...

Do you really need to do a secondary is the real question.

Back