Home alone food- Cabbage Potato Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
The wife is travelling on business, which means a few things.

1) I get to call it "the Man Room" instead of "the guest room" again
2) Whatever I cook, I will be eating alone. I will also be the sole person to sustain the consequences of any gastro-intestinal distress.
3) I'll be playing World of Warcraft almost non-stop

So, in reference to item #2, I have a few requirements. It must be something I dont usually get to eat, it must take only one pan or pot, it must not take very long or be very involved, and it must be very very cheap.

For the past 2 days, I have been eating cabbage potato soup, of which SWMBO will not touch. Something about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the main character being forced to eat cheap soup. Such nonsense.

Recipe (this was a throw together, so these are more guidelines than anything.)

1 head green cabbage; quartered, cored, and sliced thin.
3 Medium Idaho Russet potatoes (cubed small)
4 cups chicken stock (or two chicken bouillion cubes dissolved in 4 cups boiling water)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon carraway seed
kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Simple simple

Sweat the washed cabbage with the cubed potatoes and a little salt in a covered dry pot on medium heat until most of the liquid comes out of the cabbage. Season with cayenne, more salt (if desired), pepper and carraway before adding your stock and stirring. Re-cover half-way and cook on medium until liquid reduces by half, cabbage is soft but still retains a bit of firmness, and potatoes have creamed.

Eat with a loaf of spent-grain bread that your gay pastry chef friend was kind enough to bake for you the following week. Or make it yourself. Your call.

Pairs well with any beverage that has the word "beer" on the bottle.

Stay away from exposed flame.

Edit: Note that since I have a relatively well-stocked pantry, I spent $1.99 on the potatoes (with some left over in a small bag) and $0.39 a pound on the cabbage. Divide that cost in two for two days of eating (one dinner, one lunch) and it comes out to something like a dollar a meal.

Come on, that's so obviously a compliment.

BTW I especially enjoyed the part about your gay pastry chef friend baking spent grain bread for you. I've always wanted to try a spent grain recipe but since chewing on grain husks isn't that enjoyable (reminds me of when popcorn gets stuck in your teeth), I can't imagine the bread being that good.

I tried making it myself, and I got a leaden rock. My friend made it, and it was reminiscent of whole grain bread from the bakery. Experience makes all the difference.

I used to melt a stick of butter in a skillet,cut up half an onion and a couple potatoes then put a few bratts and some cabbage in with a beer and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

Creamy, your soup recipe sounds good, I think it might be a little better with some meat & a couple spoonfuls of butter.
One of my favs (but not nearly as cheap) is 1/2 lb thick sliced bacon, 1/2 a head of cabbage. I like red cabbage, but green works just as well. Fry up the bacon in a skillet. Slice cabbage in roughly 1/2 wide slices. Add the cabbage to the bacon in the skillet when the bacon is about 1/2 done. Be sure to keep it moving & get the cabbage all coated with the bacon grease. Season to taste with black pepper. If using red cabbage, it's done when the cabbage turns blue. Goes great with beer & serves 2.
Regards, GF.

Wife just got it for me for christmas. If I was caught playing anything but I think it would cause sadness.

Plus... its fun.

It's fun, but I got tired of the gameplay after a while. When you are leveling it's not so bad, but the grind gets to you after a while. And the dinks you meet in game when instancing with strangers. Ugh.

I'll take instance strangers any day to the leet 'raiders' that suck the fun out of the game with their OPness and attitude. I can't make this soup though, my kitchen is trashed...bottling day was last Sunday.

Mine is garlic bread, with an absolutely obscene amount of garlic on it. A whole head crushed, mixed with a half stick of softened butter and a half cup of good parm spread over a spilt loaf of good bread. Actually I do this when my wife is here though, to retaliate for her inconvenient biological functions.

G's Beef and Bean Chili

2 pounds ground beef (venison, turkey, or chicken)
1 28oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
2 15oz cans pinto beans
2 15oz cans kidney beans
2 15oz cans black beans (rinse one of each can and add entire contents of other 3 cans)
2 large red, orange, or yellow peppers diced
One large yellow onion diced
1/2 bag frozen sweet corn
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (this is for medium heat, adjust according to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of water (reserved for thinning out if things start to stick)

Brown meat in pot. (Drain if you're using really fatty beef)
Add rest of ingredients and simmer for a few hours.
Eat.

And don't forget the cheddar cheese for topping.

Edit: If you don't have spices and stuff forget it. It's not cheap. Otherwise you could eat for a week for about 15 bucks if you have all or most of the spices.

I live alone (unless you count my dog) so everything is a "home alone"meal.

Though I do like to make my chili extra hot. Habanero peppers and ghost chiles are common ingredients.

I've actually been making a soup a little similar to yours lately, only no potatoes. Cabbage, celery, tomato, pepper, onion, and onion soup mix. It is supposed to be a "negative calorie" food. Kind of hard to eat it every day though. I prefer variety.

Funny story about this...my dog USED TO Hoover up anything that hit the floor when I was cooking before it could bounce. Until I dropped a bit of ghost pepper (this wasn't intentional). She didn't like that too much. Needless to say, she no longer indiscriminately eats anything that hits the floor in the kitchen any more. If she doesn't "know" it is "safe", she gives it a few precautionary licks before eating.

I live alone (unless you count my dog) so everything is a "home alone"meal.

Though I do like to make my chili extra hot. Habanero peppers and ghost chiles are common ingredients.

I've actually been making a soup a little similar to yours lately, only no potatoes. Cabbage, celery, tomato, pepper, onion, and onion soup mix. It is supposed to be a "negative calorie" food. Kind of hard to eat it every day though. I prefer variety.

Funny story about this...my dog USED TO Hoover up anything that hit the floor when I was cooking before it could bounce. Until I dropped a bit of ghost pepper (this wasn't intentional). She didn't like that too much. Needless to say, she no longer indiscriminately eats anything that hits the floor in the kitchen any more. If she doesn't "know" it is "safe", she gives it a few precautionary licks before eating.

Something tells me you were forced to replace little Hoover's pooper scooper.

Latest posts

Back