Another mini-keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, Got one, actaully think I will get another for experimental purposes.

I want to just use it as is, i.e. use the gravity tap and the pressure relief bung. So I will be priming with 2 TB. of corn sugar I believe is the rate for a 5L mini? Here is my question. Do folks boil the corn sugar with water just like for bottle conditioning? How much water so I do not raise the volume too much but still have enough to keep the sugar from scorching? If you do not boil, is there a sanitation risk?

Also I think I have it figured out how to then figure the priming rate for the remainder of the beer I will be bottling. I figure I would subtract 10 liters from the final amount and then plug that into my brewing software's priming calcutor, yes?

I just pour the 2 TBS of CS in there and fill it up to within 1" from the top.

After I apply the bung I roll it for a few minutes to try to dissolve the suger.

The rolling also builds up pressure on the inside and tests the seal.

As for the remainder in the bottling bucket. That's easy.

(Normal) 4 oz of CS per 5 gals, right? 4 oz / 5 gals = .8 oz CS per gallon.

With approximately 4 gals remaining (I top off my primary to 5.25 gals) X .8 oz that equals about 3.2 oz for 4 gals. :D

For 3 gals? That'll be 3 X .8 oz = 2.4 oz. ;)

hb_99 Thanks! I knew you would have the answer, just did not want to single you out

;)

Back