European bock questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levon15

Reaction score
It's a brewers best kit.

The yeast packet (brewferm - lager)says for use between 12-15Cwhich I see as 53-59degrees F

The instructions say to ferment between 53-59F if I can. And then after 14 days move to a temp of 35-42F a couple of degrees at a time for 3-4 weeks.

Will the yeast survive at the temps the instructions say to use of should I try to hit where the yeast says for the duration?

To make things more complicated the instructions also say that if I cannot acheive lagaring temps that it would be ok to ferment the whole time at ale temps with the lagaring yeast between 64-72F.

Here are my questions
1. What temp is right the yeast packet or the instructions? I'm going to try the lagaring route.
2. If I'm off on temps by a few degrees will it kill the brew.
3. How different will the beer taste by lagaring rather than just fermenting at ale temps?

I'm unfamiliar with brewferm - lager yeast. Is this a dry yeast?

With liquid yeasts the right temp is around 50 F or 10 C. I usually pitch it when the wort is at about 44 F and then let it free rise to 50 F and hold it there. I've done lagers at 55 F with White Labs 810 and it was good too, but a hint of diacetyl. So I guess the range I would use is 48-50 F.

You can ferment lager yeast at ale temps but they'll produce esters and lagers should have low to no ester profile.

1. they are the same. the instructions just say to lager after fermentation is complete
2. no it will just give it a little different flavor (not bad just different)
3. the beer will taste cleaner at lagering temps... at ale temps you will have an ester taste from the yeast, which isnt bad just not what you are probably looking for.

It is a dry yeast that came with the kit.

So would it be better to ferment as close to the 53F. This will be easier in my setup, colder is easier.

So I'm fermenting at 53F or so and then racking to secondary off of the yeast and lagering at the lower temps. Or do I just lower the temps on the primary?

Thanks for the help everyone.

53 sounds good, and don't stress if its a few degrees higher or lower. You should first rehydrate the yeast in a sanitized dish, using sterile water (either distilled or boiled then cooled back down to room temp). Once hydrated cover the dish with a sanitized piece of foil and stick it in the area your using to ferment at 53. This will give the yeast time to acclimate to what the wort temperature will be. Ideally your yeast slurry and wort will be within a few degrees when you pitch.

Well the area I planned to use for fermenting will only get up to 46F. I called off the brew day. I'm working on a better way to keep temps stable.

46 F should still ferment, just slower. 46 F is your ambient temperature, the wort will be warmer during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back