Pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to adding after fermentation has started. I started two meads 5 weeks ago, a ginger mead and a cyser. The ginger mead is almost crystal clear but the cyser looks like apple sauce ( looks not consistancy). I added pectic enzyme at the beginning as per instructions I am just wondering if adding additional enzyme would help clear the cyser. I should mention fermentation is still going on both.

Also is there any benefit to adding additional nutrient or energizer after fermentation has slowed. Currently getting a bubble in air lock every ~60 sec.

Sure, you could add the pectic enzyme now. Just pull a bit of the mead out of the fermenter, stir in the pectic enzyme, and then gently add it back to the mead. (This will reduce any foaming).

As far as nutrients, it depends on where you are in the additions and what you've already added and what the schedule is.

Back