Sanke keg further revealed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to compress the oring to put in the snap ring they make a tool that fits around the outside of the spear housing and has a jack screw that pushes the spear down so you can easily insert the snap ring. This is available at St Pats (Scroll down to the bottom of the page). If you have a machinist friend he could make a simple tool that would do the same thing.

St. Pats sure has a nice collection of items, prices reflect. Too rich for my blood. I would rather machine a ring and split it then add bolts and a crossbar like a puller. Simple as two can be made off one ring with parts in stock.

St. Pats sure has a nice collection of items, prices reflect. Too rich for my blood. I would rather machine a ring and split it then add bolts and a crossbar like a puller. Simple as two can be made off one ring from parts in stock.

A good way to take off the spring retainer from the spear is to get a pole/pipe that fits outside the spear, and put some rubber bands around - or put a bolt through - the end of the pipe. Then, just push down the your pipe and turn while the end is between you're feet, and it will come right off.

Yeah, I use Channel locks wrapped in a towel and then push and turn between the top of two other kegs or similar height objects. Then I simply push and turn it back on with the dip-tube top on the floor. Very easy and no extra tools. Matter of fact, I only use a small screwdriver/pliers/and channel lock on my Sankes.

I got 2 5 gal sanke kegs and i would like to dispense from them. I pulled apart the spears and cleaned them but one of the hard black caps will not come off the tube and i have damaged it. anyone know were i can find that piece? i also would like to replace the oring. anyone know were to order these parts?

The original site is actually a fairly good tutorial if you are meticulous about reading and matching what you've read with the pictures. Wasn't sure if I was ever going to get that damn thing off, but now I have a sanke keg to use for my wedding!! Thanks!

Yuri's method works a treat. I put a shop towel on my bench vice first, as it has lots of oil on it (not as clean as Yuri's for sure). I never seem to be able to get the snapring back in the perfect spot. No worries though - a small flathead fits in the groove/notch that allows the spear assembly out. Just some levering and you can pop the ring out this way. You don't have to start from the very end of the ring....

You don't need any fancy tools - just a big wrench. Just press and turn, catching one of the tabs with the edge of the wrench face, until the retainer ring is unlocked. It doesn't take a ton of strength.

Are you using a crescent wrench to re assemble the spear and push down while turning the retainer into place?

"Welcome back to life my old thread"

Also having trouble getting the hard rubber seal (over the ball) out.

Btw, thanks for the awesome take-apart pix. Very nice! :)

Anyway, I'm currently just letting super-hot water run on it, hoping that softens up whatever crud is holding the whole thing together (this is a moderately skanky retired keg that was not nicely prepared at its end of life. Thankfully, the keg, itself, came clean, as well as all the spear outer parts. Now I'm just trying to get it apart to clean the innards.

...Well, and to learn how it's done :)

But, MAN that little black ring can be tough! Am I right to assume that taking tools (screwdriver, channel locks) to it will totally ruin it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back