What to do with and old Coffee Maker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
We just bought a new coffee maker. The old one still works pretty well. Any uses for a coffee maker in brewing before I throw it out?

You could use it to make hop tea :). Otherwise I don't know of a use. Unless its a commercial version.....

Wonder if you could use the heating coils to maintain heat during a mash. Just thinking out loud here.

I had an old Mr Coffee automatic model with the timer. I took out the timer part and installed it in half of a plastic wall outlet box and wired it to control the output for an electrical outlet that I put in the other half. I can program it to turn anything on that I plug into the outlet but the feature I love most is that it only runs for 2 hours and cuts itself off. I use it to control a power strip that I plug all my cordless tool battery chargers into. This way they charge completely and then turn themselves off.

Picture 004.jpg

I tried to make a soil warmer for seedlings out of the heating element/valve and a long piece of hose. It didn't work.

Put it on freecycle? Someone might want it. Or use the timer like above.

I had an old Mr Coffee automatic model with the timer. I took out the timer part and installed it in half of a plastic wall outlet box and wired it to control the output for an electrical outlet that I put in the other half. I can program it to turn anything on that I plug into the outlet but the feature I love most is that it only runs for 2 hours and cuts itself off. I use it to control a power strip that I plug all my cordless tool battery chargers into. This way they charge completely and then turn themselves off.

That's pretty badass! I'm gonna have to try that. "Honey, ummm...we need a new coffee maker!"

:ban: HappyPanties

I like that too. I ought to put it on my kid's computer and watch them freak when it shuts down on them.:D

Looks like I'll hack the timer for various uses and maybe the heater coil to maintain temp in my mash. Thanks everyone, I knew there were enough mad scientists out there to help out.

a few years ago my roommate tore open a coffee maker and made a bottle cleaner out of it. I dont exaclty know how he did it but there was a hose sticking out of the back (where you would pour in water). You would just fill it up, turn it on, and put a bottle over the hose, hot water would then shoot into it and clean it pretty good. The only problem came when we would change bottles. We would then get blasted in the face with steaming hot water. We quickly gave up on that idea

Hilarious. Rare to see Spaceballs references here but I dig it. :)

Back