Acid rest was too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
I went over my Protein rest by 15min . Is there going to be an side effects.

Mind if I ask what kind of beer your making? Did the grainbill include wheat, maybe pils? Typically modern malts don't benefit much from a rest at that low of a temp. A wheat beer can benefit from a rest similar to yours to develop ferulic acid that will accentuate the clove flavor of the yeast.

How long was the total rest? And what was your base malt? If pilsner malt you might be OK. I almost always to a 20 min. protein rest with pilsner malt. I find it improves head retention and body. I've never pushed it longer than that. If Pale malt, then you are more apt to end up with a beer with less body.

Please do report back on the final results. Many folks interpret too long a protein rest is bad as ANY protein rest is bad, which in some case in clearly not the case.

3.5 of Belgium pilsner
3.5 of pale wheat
1. Of crystal malt

I bet you will be fine with all of that wheat. I'm not a big fan of beers with lots of wheat in them. The big reason is that I find most way too rich. People claim wheat beers to be so refreshing on a hot summer day, and I have had a few that were, but I find lots of examples that are just too heavy. This might turn out just the way I would like a wit - which I tend to like better than a typical wheat

Back