MD to SD - Driving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I'm going to be driving from Maryland to South Dakota next month (unfortunately not only looking for good beer, but going to a wedding) and I am looking for brewery/ brewpub suggestions along my route. I know there is a lot of ground to cover here, but I'm seeing the major through points as Pittsburg, Chicago, Madison, and Minneapolis. We're not taking a long time to do this, but a few days and I'd really like to stop at a couple cool places along the way for a tour or just to try some new stuff.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

My favorites in Madison:
Ale Asylum (Just off the interstate)
Capital Brewery

New Glarus is a little out of your way, but one of my favorites in Wisconsin

Look into Surly in the Twin Cities.

Where in SD is the wedding? I live near Sioux Falls.

I can give you some pointers for SD, if you'd like. Just need to know where you're headed.

In Pittsburgh, I think the no-miss is Church Brew Works. There's plenty of other great beer bars, and other locally brewed beer, but Church is the all-around winner to me. They have great beer (the seasonals are frequently amazing), fantastic food, and about the best ambiance you could possibly imagine for a brewpub/restaurant!!!

It looks like your destination is in the far northeast corner of SD...too bad Rapid City is about the opposite corner of the state -- I had stopped at Firehouse Brewing there on the trip back East from a jaunt across the country I once took, and I remember it being a standout amongst the brewpubs I visited across the land. They had great food too, and an awesome dessert -- a giant, hot, fresh-baked cookie with ice cream that you had to order with your meal so it would be ready by dessert time b/c they make it from scratch.

Wow.... Lake City? Wow.... Population 51!

If you're going to be on I-90, swing up to New Ulm, MN and visit the Schell's Brewery. Small town, old brewery. Second oldest family owned brewery in the states. Good beer.

jd3 said:
Wow.... Lake City? Wow.... Population 51!

Lmao.... I know. A new family must have moved in because last time I knew it was like 44 or 45. My sister in law is marrying a guy from there that she met in the Air Force. They were both stationed in Minot and she said he was the only person she met there that actually requested that base. Crazy!

Having grown up on the east coast, I can't even comprehend a population of 51. :)

Good suggestions everyone. Keep em coming and I'll organize my drive and see what all I can fit in.

Dave's Brewfarm in Wilson, Wi.

It is just Dave and his wife. They don't have regular hours, but I'm sure if you contacted him when you knew when you were in the area, he would accommodate you if he could.

He only has two brews in the wild, but several amazing beers on tap at his place.

ok more than likely if your hitting chicago to SD youll be passing through the Quad Cities when you cross from IL to IA.
Not to miss!~
Bent River Brewery in Moline Il (right off I74) brewing a lot of very tasty brews.
Great River Brewery in Davenport IA. A bit off I74 on the IA side.. Very good mix of unique ales.

Were esay to pass by without knowing what your missing but the QCA has a lot to offer. IF you hae the time we have a River Music Experience Museum (Davenport ia) that highlights the history of jazz, blues, and river music and how it moved up the mississippi river. Typically they have some free music nights always great music and beverages.
cheers

Monk's House of Ale Repute in Sioux Falls isn't a brewery but they have a great draft beer selection and beer menu. I read there is a brew pub in Brookings, SD but it is not where I thought it was or it is seriously mislabed. More than likely it is not where I thought it was. I think its called Wooden Leg Brewery but I don't know much about it.

There is a Granite City in Sioux Falls but their beer is like any other Granite City- bad. South Dakota has such lax laws on nearly everything it is surprising they have so many bad ones for brewing and no legislator or state worker know the rules or where to find one if you want to open one up. I get the run around whenever I try talking to someone, either about that or just having a home-brewers exhibition...

Have fun driving on the freeways out here and remember when you hit the state lines speed limits change ;) I would forget where I was when I was visiting family in Ohio and would look down and be going 80... If you're going 80 in South Dakota on I-29 you will be getting passed ;)

Monk's House of Ale Repute in Sioux Falls isn't a brewery but they have a great draft beer selection and beer menu. I read there is a brew pub in Brookings, SD but it is not where I thought it was or it is seriously mislabed. More than likely it is not where I thought it was. I think its called Wooden Leg Brewery but I don't know much about it.

There is a Granite City in Sioux Falls but their beer is like any other Granite City- bad. South Dakota has such lax laws on nearly everything it is surprising they have so many bad ones for brewing and no legislator or state worker know the rules or where to find one if you want to open one up. I get the run around whenever I try talking to someone, either about that or just having a home-brewers exhibition...

Have fun driving on the freeways out here and remember when you hit the state lines speed limits change ;) I would forget where I was when I was visiting family in Ohio and would look down and be going 80... If you're going 80 in South Dakota on I-29 you will be getting passed ;)

Monk's is great. The brewpub in brookings is not open yet. Granite city's beer is great for the BMC crowd to think they are drinking good beer.... Their Bedda Chedda Burger is great, though.

If you see any beer from Milstream Breweries(amana, IA) I like their IPA and their Cream Ale. You can find them at HY Vee's all around the midwest.

+1 on the new ulm suggestion. It's a small, quaint town, Andy's an interesting downtown. The schell brewery is the highlight, and is really quite the sight.

with regards to south dakota, another to keep an eye out for is crow peak, made on the western side of the state. They come in cans, so hopefully you're not put off by that. You can find it in Sioux falls at hy-vee, and at cubbys in brookings. Read more about it here...

http://blog.southdakota.com/crow-pe...ommercial-brewery-drought-in-south-dakota.htm

Definitely pick up some Crow Peak if you see it, it is canned. They have an awesome IPA and a pretty good Porter.

As for the Wooden Legs in Brookings, it should be opening in the fall. I have sampled the beer, great stuff.

Surly is having a party the 18th of June I think because their law got passed (amending statutes so Surly can have a combination brewery/retail/eatery destination), if you're in town that day. If not, I recommend the tour. Summit in St Paul also does tours.

Or just hit Town Hall brewpub over by the University of MN for some lunch on the way though town. (if you are driving from Maryland you might just want to get the damned drive over by the time you get to MN)

If you're taking the PA to OH turnpike, stop by in Cleveland to hit Great Lakes - pretty much everything they make is a homerun.

If you are going through St Paul the Summit brewery tour is alright but you have to sign up ahead of time, it is free though and you get 2 small glasses of beer.

Surly is having a party the 18th of June I think because their law got passed (amending statutes so Surly can have a combination brewery/retail/eatery destination), if you're in town that day. If not, I recommend the tour. Summit in St Paul also does tours.

Or just hit Town Hall brewpub over by the University of MN for some lunch on the way though town. (if you are driving from Maryland you might just want to get the damned drive over by the time you get to MN)

Skip SD and check out the Minnie-Brew scene. FYI the only Sake brewery is here in Uptown as well called Moto-i. The owner is the owner of a brewery two doors down as well.

Cheers

Awesome input everyone! I was just telling my swmbo about it and she's excited too. It kinda sucks that I've just recently gotten into beer real heavily because I've travelled a ton and it makes me sad to think about all the good beer I've passed up without even knowing it!

Awesome input everyone! I was just telling my swmbo about it and she's excited too. It kinda sucks that I've just recently gotten into beer real heavily because I've travelled a ton and it makes me sad to think about all the good beer I've passed up without even knowing it!

You could hit up shells in new ulm and than hit up brau brothers in Lucan while heading through south-central minnesota.

Quick update from the road. Stopped at church brew works in Pittsburgh yesterday. Really cool spot. I felt like the beer was good overall. My favorites were the coconut stout and their pale ale. Both were awesome! We're held up in Ohio with a flat tire, but we'll be back on the road soon. Not sure what else we're going to hit, but new glarus is a priority. I've heard so much about it, but can't get it in md.

In Madison, Vintage Brewing is pretty cool too. It's a brewpub and the beers are outstanding.

Quick update from the road. Stopped at church brew works in Pittsburgh yesterday. Really cool spot. I felt like the beer was good overall. My favorites were the coconut stout and their pale ale. Both were awesome! We're held up in Ohio with a flat tire, but we'll be back on the road soon. Not sure what else we're going to hit, but new glarus is a priority. I've heard so much about it, but can't get it in md.

I told you their seasonal/rotating stouts were really good! I've had the coconut when they'd brewed it previously.....

Back