Tinker Tinker...Trying To Improve My Brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
Ok. I have about 25 batches under my belt and am always looking to improve brews.

I noticed that my dip tube was in the middle of my yeast cake at the bottom. I have bent the tube away and up from that. Might make a difference. We'll see.

Cold crashing. Would it help to put the primary, prior to going to the secondary in the fridge for a night and then transfer? Any benefits? I basically a half barrel kegerator which will fit a 5 gallon carboy (lagering) and a serving corny.

Any thoughts?

SMC

For question 1, it sounds like you ferment in a corny keg... am i understanding you right? Or are you asking whether your serving keg should angle the dip tube to the center of the keg?

Regarding the second question, you might consider skipping the secondary (depending on the beer) and cold crashing before you package. I like cold crashing with some gelatin if i'm going to try and impress my friends with the brilliance of my brew ;)

... but if i'm the only one drinking it i usually dont crash and just keg it after primary fermentation is complete.

Back