Pumkin Ale Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrilla

Reaction score
So i've found a pumpkin ale recipe that i want to make(extract) but i want to add more pumpkin to it and am going to be using the canned pumpkin. What would be the best way to add this to the ale. Iv'e heard partial mash would be best but have no idea what this means or what it entails..Can someone please give me some input here? Would it work in the primary or secondary? if so should it go in a hop bag or cheese cloth?

Thanks everyone

Oh yes, it's getting that time. There are a lot of threads on pumpkin beer, it's really a subject worthy of doing a seach. Rarely do I suggest using the search function but in past years there have been some great pics of the different ways of adding the pumpkin.

A partial mash would be co-mashing the pumpkin with some base malt inorder to obtain some conversion with the pumpkin. If you add it to the boil or fermenter it makes for a lot of trub that results in a good bit of a volume loss.

I don't know how much flavor you can get out of pumpkin itself. I did this last year and I don't know that the pumpkin did much. The pumpkin pie spices seem to be the main source of flavor/aroma.

If you've used specialty grains before, the process won't be that much different. Instead of steeping(mashing) the specialty grains for the 20-30 minutes or whatever, I mashed them for 60 minutes along with some 6-row malt and fresh pumpkin that I had baked in an oven until it was soft. I scraped off the flesh from the skin and added to the water. I can't remember, but I believe I either had the pumpkin in a grain bag or maybe I filtered it out and transferred the liquid to another pot before I started the boil.

But the pumpkin pie spices added more than the pumpkin did. I'd do more research into when and how much to add of that than the pumpkin itself.

Back