AG/PM equiptment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Alright... I've got to be honest... a vast majority of the time, when you AG and PM guys talk about your mash tuns and the coolers you use, your false bottoms etc I have no goddamned clue what is going on. I've done one PM before, and ended up doing the following: heating my grain water up to 150, in 2 seperate pots because I couldnt fit it all in 1, mashing for an hour and then pouring them both through a collander into my Brew Pot. I then poured 2 pots of 170 degree water over them to sparge. This was collosally aggravating.

I'm interesting in going full time PM. What is the best way to do this. I've already thrown myself and my ego on the mercy of all, so feel free to fill me in. How does the process work with coolers and falsebottoms? Hopefully I can exchane my dignity for some information. Thanks in advance!
-Ben

The simplest way to partial mash is to go get a very large grain bag. Mine is about 18"x24". Mash in your brew kettle with the grain in the bag using about 2.5 gallons of water. Open the bag and stir a bit. Lift the bag out & let it drain. Add extract & proceed.

This is the procedure austinhomebrew recommends for its mini-mashes & it works rather well. I've hit the target gravity within a point or two on every mini-mash I've done this way.

Benny,
Since you are local, i just upgraded some equipment and have a complete mashing system I would be willing to let go of for very cheap:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_S_MASHING_SYSTEM_P191C83.cfm

To me this is the perfect introductory mashing system--I have been doing full mashes in it for years (I just did 15 lbs of grain and it can handle a little more) and you could easily do partial mashes and work your way up. It's also great if you live in the city and space is a consideration because it breaks down and stores in half the space of full coolers. Very straight forward, no assembly requried. Drop me a pm or email if interested. :mug:

Jeff

Back