Traditional red wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, so i was curious if anybody knew. I want to make some red wine for a religous celebration but it cant have any perservatives or extras in it. Does anybody know how to make a traditional (or as close to as we can these days) red wine? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Well i guess you could say that...i don't really know the word means in relation to wine. But it is for the passover celebration. (obviously next year)

You can't be any more traditional than grape juice and yeast.

That being said, what do you mean by no "extras" I would think that you could get grapes, crush them, add water and/or sugar until you get in the 1.090-1.100 range and add yeast. Rack off the skins after a couple of days and let it go. Just rack every month or two until it is clear, then bottle. This will likely be a very dry wine. You don't have to have sulfites in your wine to kill the yeast, you just can't sweeten it after fermentation without it.

I've made wine very similar to this before and it turned out fine. My friend gave me 40 lbs of grapes, and he had no idea what they were. I did exactly what is listed on top. It ended up clear and dry in about 4 months.

Back