New from Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
Hello all. I am somewhat of a newbie (brewed 3 unsuccessful batches in California), and am going to get started again sometime soon in TX. If there are any club members in the Houston area, give me a shout. I am thinking about joining a club.

I can't wait to get started again, even after the first 3 'failed attempts' (I still drank the beer, it was just a little funky :D). All I have to do is replace the stuff I left in CA. All I have right now is a kettle and bottle capper. Fermenters, hoses, bottling stuff, etc.-- all left in CA.

Good Luck to you, and until you are brewing your own there are plenty of good places in H-town to enjoy some great beer. If you haven't been already, try the Flying Saucer, and the Mucky Duck for starters.

I have been to the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. I haven't been to the one here yet. Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check out Mucky Duck as well, when I get a chance.

Welcome! Which part of Houston are you from? Defalco's where I get my ingredients. Their extract kits are great for getting started.

Welcome! Which part of Houston are you from? Defalco's where I get my ingredients. Their extract kits are great for getting started.

I live on the NW side. I want to check out Defalco's one of these days. I took a look at Brew Your Own in Spring, but just bought a book. I wasn't really ready to buy anything else anyway. I am probably just going to save my money and buy a complete kit since all I have is the kettle and bottle capper.

It sounds like you're in KGB territory, the Kukendal Grand Brewers. If you make it out to Defalco's regularly the Foam Rangers are the big wild kids on the block. If you just love engineers and a drive the Mashtronauts are by NASA. The little guys around are the CIA, Cane Island Alers and there's also a brewing / connessieur group the CCSD. Can't remember what CCSD means.

Thanks to club ties and trade's I've just finished my two keggles for a total cost of $60. Sometimes it's who you know!

I was thinking about KGB. Are you a member of one of these?

I am a Foam Ranger. Just as i was coming in these guys got kicked out of a campsite and I knew if you can get kicked out of outside there was nothing I was going to do to become the black sheep.

I've thought about joining the KGB and if they were closer would probably be a double agent. Their meetings are more family friendly and a little less wild, they're a little smaller club. I've hung out with all the clubs I know of in the area and they all have awesome members and great times you can't go wrong whatever you choose.

When you show up mention G-Lover and they'll almost certainly know who you're talking about. One idea is to check out the website and any newsletters or forums they may have if you don't want to waste the gas driving over. The Rangers are having a meeting this Friday @ 7 @ Defalco's. I may not get to come b/c of family events but the style is Barley Wines which the Rangers are known for so they'll be coming out of the woodworks and you can quickly size up the type of club it is.

I actually looked at the foam rangers website this morning and considered showing up friday night. Will I be able to just show up and have a few beers and introduce myself? Do members pitch in a certain amount of $$ at each meeting to share brews? I would like to go, but don't want to look like a free loader.

We pay yearly memberships and the first few visits are on us. The KGB is pay as you go, but I've heard visitors can get a reprieve. The others I don't know.

Back