Ph meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Ph meter for adjusting there mashes? How about Ph paper. Just curious. I was thinking that with a darker wort, Ph paper might be hard to read? Just thought I would get some feedback before I purchase anything.

Dark_Ale said:
Does anyone use a Ph meter for adjusting there mashes? How about Ph paper. Just curious. I was thinking that with a darker wort, Ph paper might be hard to read? Just thought I would get some feedback before I purchase anything.

I bought the ph paper. It's not perfect as I think the color scale differential is rather wide. Not having it in front of me but I think it was by 2's. 4,6,8 so to try and and see if your close to 5.5 optimum you kind of wing it. If it looks a little ligher than 6, darker than 4 I'm a happy camper. I have a pool test kit that goes by .2 but it doesn't head below 6.5 as a pool is optimum at 7.2. I just don't think I need to invest more cash on a fancy tester when $4 of paper strips will last me 50 batches. Or maybe later I'll recant and get more anal.

desertBrew said:
I bought the ph paper. It's not perfect as I think the color scale differential is rather wide. Not having it in front of me but I think it was by 2's. 4,6,8 so to try and and see if your close to 5.5 optimum you kind of wing it. If it looks a little ligher than 6, darker than 4 I'm a happy camper. I have a pool test kit that goes by .2 but it doesn't head below 6.5 as a pool is optimum at 7.2. I just don't think I need to invest more cash on a fancy tester when $4 of paper strips will last me 50 batches. Or maybe later I'll recant and get more anal.
What do you use to bring the ph down? When do you sample and check for ph

Dark_Ale said:
What do you use to bring the ph down? When do you sample and check for ph

I know another of our more senior members (can't recall which) would be more knowledgable but this is what I do. It's the PH of the mash that is important and not the water heading in when your setting up the mash. So thus far with my 2 AG's under my belt I've hit it with 8ph water coming in but after I stirred it up and checked the PH I was right on target so the grains basically balanced it out to optimum. Both these batches were pale ale and IPA so the grains were basically the same. Pretty sure I read different grains would give different results so I quite frankly don't know what to expect when I do something dark perhaps. But, I kept gypsum on hand to lower it if need be. I'd take 1/4 tsp stir and recheck. Right approach, someone else help me out there.

I did recently read though that the sparge water is also important to have a proper ph so my next batch I'll be adjusting my HLT sparge water to 5.5 which I haven't done in the past.

A real easy way to do this guys is to use 5.2 Ph stabilizer. It works and you don't have to worry about testing anything. I'm serious. Use it in your sparge water too.

Sudster said:
A real easy way to do this guys is to use 5.2 Ph stabilizer. It works and you don't have to worry about testing anything. I'm serious. Use it in your sparge water too.

Ok, I'll take your word for it. One less hassle is always appreciated. ;) Bummer is I don't see it on my local stores web site so might not be on their shelves either. Does it have another name and/or where can I get some?

Oops, a quick google and it's all over the place. Looks like $12 avg and at 1 tbs per 5g for 1# should last quite a while. Thanks Sudster!

Back