best $60 I ever spent...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
for the williams brewing oxygen aerator...i have used it twice, both times with a OG over 1.070 (bee cave robust porter and bee cave octoberfest ale) and both 6.5 gallon carboys were going crazy within 8 hours and the blow off's are incredible (almost too good, i wonder if i'm losing valuable wort and yeast..

i can't believe this wyeast kolsch took offso fast, temps 65 degrees and i didn't even put a blow-off on thinking i had enough headspace in the larger carboy and an anticipated slow start to the fermentation with this type of yeast.

dos anyone think these crazy blow-offs actually harm your beer by spewing out so mch yeast?

Have you ever been to a brewery and seen their blowoff tubes spewing? I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Get some Fermcap-S if it bothers you. Keeps boils and fermentations at bay and makes cleaning out carboys a breeze.

for the williams brewing oxygen aerator...i have used it twice, both times with a OG over 1.070 (bee cave robust porter and bee cave octoberfest ale) and both 6.5 gallon carboys were going crazy within 8 hours and the blow off's are incredible (almost too good, i wonder if i'm losing valuable wort and yeast..

i can't believe this wyeast kolsch took offso fast, temps 65 degrees and i didn't even put a blow-off on thinking i had enough headspace in the larger carboy and an anticipated slow start to the fermentation with this type of yeast.

dos anyone think these crazy blow-offs actually harm your beer by spewing out so mch yeast?

I was looking at that before to help with better fermentations, hmmmm, this might be the next purchase.

Get some Fermcap-S if it bothers you. Keeps boils and fermentations at bay and makes cleaning out carboys a breeze.

Be careful with the Fermcap though. If you get too much it will bitter your beer up by 10%. Trust me, I thought if one drop is good then a blob would be great. After 10 gallons of puckering I'm just getting back to normal!

Be careful with the Fermcap though. If you get too much it will bitter your beer up by 10%. Trust me, I thought if one drop is good then a blob would be great. After 10 gallons of puckering I'm just getting back to normal!

I have often wondered about that, something that keeps foam down where foam is suppose to be is obviously going to have some side effects. Thanks for sharing! :mug:

yeah, thanks...and i agree...trying to keep the science to a minimum and let nature do its thing. I've heard positives and negatives about fermcap, so I just leave it out for now, one less chemical or whatever in my beer.

Back