LHBS /equipment/brewers Rochester, Ny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
I'm going to be returning to the university of Rochester this September and I'm hoping to brew in my suite. I figured I'd put all 4ish topics into one big thread

1: does anyone have some gently used equipment they'd like to unload. I'd love free :)P), but if you'd like beer or a reasonable amount of money, that could be arranged. I'd need basically everything as the equipment I'm using at home belongs to a friend.

2: any highly recommended LHBS in the area? (Testimony is appreciated)

3: I'm going to be brewing in a super small space. I'll have two electric burners, a sink and about a 5x5 kitchen area. So any suggestions/tips on how to simplify my brewing process to fit into a dorm? I'm doing extract brewing for convenience and I'm used to the luxury of a full kitchen so I'm a bit spread out right now. Also right now, my bottling is a bit...well wet. Beer and water and liquid everywhere. So suggestions there'd be good. Maybe a big plastic bin to contain the mess...

4: any brew suggestions that utilize the local specialties? I'm thinking something with apple as Rochester is apple country and I could pick some up at the local farmer's market

Thanks guys

4: any brew suggestions that utilize the local specialties? I'm thinking something with apple as Rochester is apple country and I could pick some up at the local farmer's market

Brew a garbage plate beer?

Haha I can't help you much, but I'll chime in anyway. I went to UR but did my brewing off campus. If it were me... I'd just wait a couple years. Those suites are tiny and have no real kitchen space, and they're always way too hot. I remember it being a pain to just cook mac and cheese, and the kitchen was always piled to the ceiling with others' dirty dishes. You can brew, but it's going to be a real pain in the ass and your roommates might hate you for stinking up the place. I'd also check the reslife lease/housing contract to make sure you aren't violating any policies. I think Beers of the World sells some homebrew supplies, don't know of another HBS.

Move off campus man! That campus was so depressing, everyone worked way too hard and there wasn't anything to do but hang out in suites/dorm rooms and drink. That was a blast for a couple years (I have some great memories of my dorm days...) but it got old fast. Apartments in Rochester are dirt cheap compared to the rest of the country, and if you look at what you're paying for "rent" on the dorm room, you'd crap your pants. I lived there 6 years and loved the town once I got off campus.

Just go to Acme on their 50 cent Molson night (if they still have it) and get drunk enough that you'll forget all about homebrewing.

OK, I'm done rambling. I do miss Rochester. But not the UR campus.

Well the new thing is dollar beers at red wings games. Also my suite mates are gonna join, so maybe that'll work. I might brew at a buddy's place and move the fermenter. Hes a fellow brewer so he'll help for beer or my help with his. Thanks for the memories lol. Also fyi, I'm living in Phase in Chambers 4 facing the cemetery

Well the new thing is dollar beers at red wings games. Also my suite mates are gonna join, so maybe that'll work. I might brew at a buddy's place and move the fermenter. Hes a fellow brewer so he'll help for beer or my help with his. Thanks for the memories lol. Also fyi, I'm living in Phase in Chambers 4 facing the cemetery

Does the Elmwood still do 30 cent wings on Sundays and Mondays? I friggin loved that place. Not a great beer selection but a pitcher of Yuengling washed down their honey cajun wings pretty well... I'm starting to remember why I weighed 30-40lbs more when I was in school.

I think prices are closer to $0.50 wings. Adds up quick. There was a place that used to do 0.25 wings on Mondays but Idk if they do that still. Still do the Nick Tahoe's run though. Also the Genesee (river and beer) can still develop film

Also the Genesee (river and beer) can still develop film

Obviously. Haha that river will never be clean. I remember my buddy who was on the crew team jumped in one time and got a nasty rash all over his stomach. Gross.

I know they were the original but I never liked the Tahoe plates. Dogtown was always my preference.

Now I'm in Boston where I pay $7 for a craft beer... that would get me more than a pitcher in Rochester.

If you could decline beer at the distillery, I'd be an alcoholic!

Welcome back to town! I just moved to connecticut today and I already miss it. Rochester is an EXTREMELY homebrew friendly town. I'll take you questions by number:

1.) if I had seen this yesterday I'd have had an extra fermentor and some extra hosing and bungs (innuendo absolutely intended).

2.) the options for homebrew stores are Sunset Hydroponic and the Henrietta Beers of the World. I typically go to sunset for most of my ingredients, but BOTW is solid as well. If you brew all grain go to sunset. They have a massive grain selection and a "do it yourself" barley grinder (a lawsuit waiting to happen, but awesome in my opinion). Both have really impressive selections of hops and yeast, and both staffs are knowledgeable and friendly. If you're sticking with extract BOTW has a better selection, but I would check both out. If you're looking at getting all new gear try craigslist. Lots of people looking to unload equipment, but both stores have reasonably priced kits.

3.) my kitchen was 4x6 and i do BIAB. It was an absolute mess to bottle. One way I found of getting around that was to save the packaging from a bunch of 6 packs, put them over paper towels or a garbage bag, and then siphon the beer into the bottles in the packaging. The cardboard and paper towels/garbage bag absorbs/contains most of the mess, and you can just recycle or toss them afterwards.

4.) public market apple cider public market apple cider public market apple cider. the fall will be excellent.

Hope this was helpful, and the guys are rohrbach, roc brewing, and custom brewcrafters are really supportive and helpful to homebrewers if you ever want the professional perspective.

Back