I love summer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today, it's about 85 and sunny with a gentle breeze blowing. We went out and picked raspberries, and I'm whipping cream here in a minute for berries and cream. We took a leisurely pontoon boat ride around the lake, and there wasn't a soul around. I sat outside and read a book and drank a homebrew after that, and now Bob is making a dinner of pork chops and vegetables, all on the grill. His garden gave us tons of veggies, and he brushed them with olive oil and put them in a grill basket.

I love summer! Life is good.

What did YOU do today? And, what's your favorite thing about summer?

I got to work a 10 hour shift. Thanks for rubbing it in! LOL

The best thing about summer is the great fishing in FL.

I messed up the clear coat on the front fairing to my motorcycle, 8 hours of prep work wasted. Now Im inside depressed about the whole thing and too sick to have a delicious homebrew.

*sorry to be a downer*

It don't snow in summer. 'nuff said.

It's been in the 90's almost every day for two weeks now, but I never complain on the basis that I ***** about the winters so much that I forfeit the right! :)

Well, aren't you just a bunch of Suzie Sunshines! :D

I didn't know it, but Bob bought some Wisconsin sweet corn. So, here is a picture of our summer dinner:

DSCF3037.jpg
It was great!

homemade vino yoop?;)

Lots of good thiongs in our garden too. Fresh tomatoes and peppers and herbs.

Life is good!

homemade vino yoop?;)

Lots of good thiongs in our garden too. Fresh tomatoes and peppers and herbs.

Life is good!

Oh, yes, homemade wine too. It's a 2008 oaked chokecherry.

We are quite a long way from ripe tomatoes, but we have tons of snowpeas and snap peas, beets, carrots, greens, etc. The potatoes should be ready soon.

Well, aren't you just a bunch of Suzie Sunshines! :D
I didn't know it, but Bob bought some Wisconsin sweet corn. So, here is a picture of our summer dinner:
It was great!

Yum, that looks great! I have that same veggie grill basket and use it a lot. I'm buried under a mountain of zucchini now, so pretty much everything has zucchini in it somewhere. I've discovered you can eat lots more stuffed zucchini blossoms than the resulting zucchinis. My friends have taken to locking their car doors when here.

What did YOU do today? And, what's your favorite thing about summer?

Shampooed a carpet in a foreclosure that if all goes well, my son will own on Wendnesday.

Favorite thing about summer? Let's see....it follows spring and precedes fall:( It gets hot here. But it is raining now, there is a nice breeze off the lake, and I've a full glass of two-hearted, wait.... I finished that, make that a full glass of dead-guy ale. So life is good. That plate made my mouth water. And what, you don't pick your own shrooms? I would think that Morels would be abundant in your area.

Shampooed a carpet in a foreclosure that if all goes well, my son will own on Wendnesday.

Favorite thing about summer? Let's see....it follows spring and precedes fall:( It gets hot here. But it is raining now, there is a nice breeze off the lake, and I've a full glass of two-hearted, wait.... I finished that, make that a full glass of dead-guy ale. So life is good. That plate made my mouth water. And what, you don't pick your own shrooms? I would think that Morels would be abundant in your area.

I don't pick morels, although they are abundant here if you know the top secret places. We do harvest oyster mushrooms and shaggy mane's though!

About the zucchini- I know what you mean! People at church started locking their cars two summers ago because if they left the doors unlocked Bob and I would make sure each car got at least a couple of zucchini!

My favorite use for zucchini is crab cakes. Oh, you don't use crab. Just shredded zucchini, Old Bay seasoning, bread crumbs and egg. Mix it together and serve with cocktail sauce. It tastes like crab cakes, I swear!

Let's see: I spent a couple hours cutting back the blackberries, which have just started setting fruit, watered the hops that are only 6-12 feet tall, watered the tomato/pepper and cucumber plants, none of which have set fruit and most of which are under a foot tall. Sprayed the cherry tree with Savin, birds got all of the fruit last week. Watched a deer eating green apples from the few trees that the gophers haven't killed. Walked the greyhounds down to the creek, which is about six inches deep right now. Sweated in 90F, blazing bright sun without any breeze the whole time.

I think I understand why the suicide rate goes up here in the summer.

Fired up the Big Green Egg and grilled some chicken with some sort of "island" sauce we picked up at a Party Lite party. (Had to support a friend who got suckered into hosting a party) Threw on some pineapple rings, campari tomatoes, and bell peppers to boot. Came together quite nicely.

Then threw on some fresh peach halves while SWMBO mixed up some sort of sour cream, cream cheese, honey filling she got from Weight Watchers (Yes, we're on it again!)

A pretty rockin' dinner for just 8.5 points.

Just enough left over to enjoy a Newcastle Brown Ale. Don't have any homebrew ready just now. :(

Fat people generally hate the heat...therefore I am required to hate it. However, I do like the "idea" of summer....

:mug:I love summer, especialy when work does'nt interfere. That's why I take most of my vacation in July-August. :ban:

Yoop, how long have you had those plates!
Thats an old Corelle pattern.

I was DONE brewing at 10:30 AM
I dont mean like the boil was done.
I dont mean it was in the fermenters
I was DONE
Beer in fermenters, yeast pitched, cleaned up and ready for 10 more gallons Sunday!

THAT
Is what I love about this time of year!
DAYLIGHT........... cant replace that :D

That and we're gone camping for 10 days so I had to brew when I could

Oh, yes, homemade wine too. It's a 2008 oaked chokecherry.

We are quite a long way from ripe tomatoes, but we have tons of snowpeas and snap peas, beets, carrots, greens, etc. The potatoes should be ready soon.

Just 1 ripe one so far (tomato) not to mention 30 or so ripe cherry and grape toms, but they don't really count.

Growing potatoes for the first time. how do you know when to dig them up?

The salad greens are gone now, but we enjoyed them through the spring. We are eating fresh basil every other meal.

Fresh basil and fresh garden salsa are what I look forward to most!

Just 1 ripe one so far (tomato) not to mention 30 or so ripe cherry and grape toms, but they don't really count.

Growing potatoes for the first time. how do you know when to dig them up?

The salad greens are gone now, but we enjoyed them through the spring. We are eating fresh basil every other meal.

Fresh basil and fresh garden salsa are what I look forward to most!

For the potatoes, they'll flower and the tops will start dying back. You can dig them up anytime after that. You can leave them in the ground until you are ready for them, though, so you can just dig a few at a time until you need them.

We still have salad greens, even though the weather has been warmer. The spinach bolts early, but most of the lettuces do fine in our climate through July. The kale will keep coming, though!

We grew a "lime basil" this year for the first time. It's wonderful! I make a marinade with lime, honey, garlic, and lime basil, and marinate chicken. Then, throw it on the grill. It's my favorite herb right now. We're eating basil often, and I love pesto.

Lady, that is a good looking meal!

I won't tell you about my 110 index on the pad in Houston. Great thing it wasn't busy so I got a lot of A/C time.

Lets see . . . got 2 coats of sealer on the basement walls. Moved about a yard of wood chips out of my way to throw down about a yard of top soil to fix the grade in front of the house. Put the wood chips back and decided since I was at it I may was well fix a few spots in the yard that have been bugging me so went and picked up another yard of top soil and threw that down . . . fought off the 95degree heat by sucking back some High Life, Schlitz and Mikes, then had a dinner of Kopps cheeseburgers and onion rings . . .

If it wasnt for the hang over setting in, the massive urge for a smoke (had my last one back on 18 Apr), and the fact I have to work tomorrow life would kick ass.
(btw if ya want/need more raspberries pop on over, you can have what ever you can fight Dewd for)

Off to a picnic today. Made a blackberry cobbler from some of last year's berries. Actually made two, but I'm keeping one at home. I use Krusteaz Scone mix.

A little cooler today, or so they say, but there's lots of shade in the hostess' back yard.

The blackberries are really late this year. Even down in town, they are about the size of peas. My blueberries didn't even bloom this Spring, although my neighbor's are loaded. But those plants are 30+ years old.

Time for the morning dog walk and I haven't even had breakfast!

What I did yesterday: took SWMBO for her monthly blood draw at the hospital; went to Starbuck's in Woodstock [where the movie "Groundhog Day" was made] and did then some shopping at Kohl's in Crystal Lake. Got home, got the Gold Wing out, and we put about another 100 miles on it. Dinner was Johnsonville brats and Suddenly Salad...with a homebrew for each of us!

This morning, I bottled my Oatmeal Stout, and scrubbed the kitchen floor. Gotta go mow the lawn, and then maybe another motorcycle ride!

This summer is my first complete summer of retirement...and I LOVE it! Riding the Gold Wing every chance I get, almost daily.

And Pumbaa...when I saw you mention Kopp's I looked at your location...I KNEW it was Milwaukee!

glenn514:mug:

That is a great looking meal, Yoop!

My weekend (after I got back from the UP again) was mowing the yard, coming to work to swap routers, watching the last 2 eps of Legend of the Seeker, eating way too much chicken gravy over biscuits, and riding the bike for 30 minutes. Warm and sticky. I had a fan blowing right on me while riding and STILL sweated like crazy, and I don't normally sweat much!

I'm actually jealous about that dinner, even though chicken gravy is one of my favorites, I'd like to be on a diet with more meat and veggies and lots less carbs. And I'd like to have had the time to put in a garden this spring. Last two times I grew a garden it sucked real bad. I need to have our soil tested, and/or set up raised beds.

WOW!! Lime basil. There are so many different types.

Spicy blobe is my new favorite.

Nice pepperyness, and it's leaves are tiny. Strip it like thyme and it is already diced!(so to speak)

That chicken must have been good!

My trick is a cucumber, feta, sour cream sauce (kinda greek) over salt and pepper and lemon juice grilled chicken, top with fresh basil.

YUM!

SWMBO hates licoricy(sp?) basil. That eliminates any thai or purple varieties.

What I did yesterday: took SWMBO for her monthly blood draw at the hospital; went to Starbuck's in Woodstock [where the movie "Groundhog Day" was made] and did then some shopping at Kohl's in Crystal Lake. Got home, got the Gold Wing out, and we put about another 100 miles on it. Dinner was Johnsonville brats and Suddenly Salad...with a homebrew for each of us!

This morning, I bottled my Oatmeal Stout, and scrubbed the kitchen floor. Gotta go mow the lawn, and then maybe another motorcycle ride!

This summer is my first complete summer of retirement...and I LOVE it! Riding the Gold Wing every chance I get, almost daily.

And Pumbaa...when I saw you mention Kopp's I looked at your location...I KNEW it was Milwaukee!

glenn514:mug:

Sounds great! My wife used to live in Marengo, we met in church in woodstock :) We live in Dundee now. I ride as well (Currently an '82 Yamaha 750). Gotta get together with the homebrewtalkers in the area sometime :)

Back