New e-HERMS build, questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a small amount of progress today after receiving my 63amp DIN rail contactor, temp probes, and heatsink in the mail. I also picked up some stainless hardware.

Here's a mock up of the heatsink. I drilled two more holes in the bottom for the temp probes, too.

Now it's time to paint the enclosure and wire it up. Slow and steady!

View attachment 1437432990577.jpg

Nice job spartybrews on your build so far! I am also going electric now and enjoying your progress. I need to install a dryer outlet also as I want to brew on my roof covered lanai by the pool. Good luck with the rest of the build!

John

Nice progress.
I assume this is the case, but wanted to confirm for the benefit of others that you are going to be installing a cable clamp/strain relief where the power supply cord enters the cabinet.

I performed a quick water test and it looks like I will be good to go for an extract brew day tomorrow. I'll calculate boil off at that time and work on installing the HERMS coil.

I installed the elements using a weldless kit from bargain fittings and a homemade stainless enclosure (formerly stainless salt shakers).

It's really starting to come together!

View attachment 1439573250723.jpg

View attachment 1439573263570.jpg

Today's extract brew did not goes as planned...

I got water from tap to boil in less than 15 min (that's a win!). I mixed in the LME, changed to manual mode on BK pid and went down to 60%. Got to boil, started to boil over, cut power, reduced power to 45%. Started to boil over again. Cut power, reduce power to 35%. Started to boil over again! Reduced power to 30% and couldn't get a boil so I moved up slowly to 34%, got a very low boil. Tried 35% again, started to boil over again!

I spent the next hour battling boil overs.

If 34% is not enough, but, 35% is too much, what do I need to do?

Trying an Auto Tune with the BK pid right now. Temp probe is mounted on the side of the kettle... I have temp set at 150 and present value has over shot to 172 and still climbing.

The same thing happened on Saturday prior to the extract brew and boil over issues.

I don't know what's wrong. Any suggestions?

I think it is a bad SSR. I ran an Auto Tune this morning with the HLT PID, hooked up to the BK element and BK temp probe and the temp has stopped within 1 degree of the set temp and is holding there, 10 minutes into the process. EDIT: Auto Tune finished after 23 minutes, temp holding at 152 (the SV).

I emailed Auber this morning to see what they have to say, too.

Then I believe I will swap out the BK SSR and try again.

It was definitely a bad SSR. I swapped it out this morning, ran Auto Tune and it's holding the SV temp.

Auber also responded with recommended P, I, and D values for beer brewing:

"For your application, please try setting I =350, P=40, and D=2. It should give you very good control."

Back