Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b081932b97eb3c1f0077b95f4859ef973e1f7824944e0536e24ecf7b74b2e6e6.jpg

Was at a restaurant in Virginia & ordered a glass of zinfandel; they brought me a white. I asked the waitress why she didn't bring me a zin she said she did, white zin, apparently unaware there was any other kind. I asked her to check, which she did, and they had none. I sent it back, they didn't charge, no real harm done.

I'd be more concerned that she actually brought wine instead of beer, even after she saw that I was a dude.

:ban:

I'd be more concerned that she actually brought wine instead of beer, even after she saw that I was a dude.

Their beer selection sucked and living in an area known for zins I've developed a taste. I've also been known to hold my wife's purse for her and buy tampons while grocery shopping without feeling like a girly-man. I don't do the group trip to the men's room so don't ask. :D

Their beer selection sucked and living in an area known for zins I've developed a taste. I've also been known to hold my wife's purse for her and buy tampons while grocery shopping without feeling like a girly-man. I don't do the group trip to the men's room so don't ask. :D

I'll take good wine over mediocre beer.

To clarify he was talking barrels as in whiskey barrels

having a hard time choosing between snarky responses

#1 - because Busch Light is famous for its whiskey barrel character

#2 - so he's blaming whiskey barrels for sucking all the taste out of Busch Light?

#3 - he means brewed in the same zip code as the finest barrels that can be found

pick one and laugh at it

This just happened today. A friend called to tell me about a party he's having tonight:

Friend: Hey man, I'm having a party tonight. You should come over. So what are you up to?

Me: Just finishing up brewing a batch of beer.

Friend: Cool. Well finish it up and bring some so we can sample it!

This just happened today. A friend called to tell me about a party he's having tonight:

Friend: Hey man, I'm having a party tonight. You should come over. So what are you up to?

Me: Just finishing up brewing a batch of beer.

Friend: Cool. Well finish it up and bring some so we can sample it!

Well, you did tell him you finished.

My FIL last night told me that bock were only made in the spring, because they were only made when the breweries were cleaning out their tanks, and that the dark colour was from all the "goodness" left over in the tanks from the previous year.

I agreed with him that maibocks we're layered and then consumed in the spring, but he didn't clue in, so I dropped it.

My FIL last night told me that bock were only made in the spring, because they were only made when the breweries were cleaning out their tanks, and that the dark colour was from all the "goodness" left over in the tanks from the previous year.

I agreed with him that maibocks we're layered and then consumed in the spring, but he didn't clue in, so I dropped it.

At what temp do they "layer" the maibocks? :0) Sorry, just a funny thing I heard about beer...

Last edited:
Someone told me once that stouts were the black dregs of the brewing process and porters were when they mixed the black stuff with regular beer to make them go further. Sadly, at the time I didn't know any better.

We did a bourbon distillery tour (actually several :drunk:) last Friday. The guide was describing where the used barrels go:

"Some go to Scotch distilleries, or wineries. The new thing now is to use the barrels for aging beer. Those of us that are old school just called them 'Boilermakers', but the kids think they're onto something new. Most of the time, they do bock beers, but the dark beers take some getting used to. I've also heard they're experimenting with an *amber* (said with emphasis) ale."

My sister-in-law, at dinner last night, during a discussion about my beer, how fun it is, wife is really fascinated by all the science behind it, FIL's allergic to hops, BIL really like the Accidental Light Ale I made...etc. They

she's a Biology teacher, and the Science Dept. head at her HS.

"So, are you using yeast?"

Umm, no.

There's a terrible local brewery near me that has a 'pils' on tap. Come to find out its an ale fermented with kolsch yeast and pilsner malt. Heavy ester profile too, gets under my skin that he calls it a pils. No wonder I've been there twice in two years. Never again.

There's a terrible local brewery near me that has a 'pils' on tap. Come to find out its an ale fermented with kolsch yeast and pilsner malt. Heavy ester profile too, gets under my skin that he calls it a pils. No wonder I've been there twice in two years. Never again.

This reminds me of the last time I was back in Charleston SC last summer. My brother took me out to Big Belly (great place) and they had a really nice looking tap list. I don't remember the brewery, but there was an Imperial Pils on the list. The description said it had tons of Saaz so I had to try it. When I ordered, the young (very young) lady wrinkled up her face and asked, "Have you had it before? It's not very popular." Thinking, what does she know I went ahead and ordered one.

Good lord was it a hot mess. I think it was truly a pils, fermented at about 95 degrees, kegged a week after pitching and filtered through a grain silo sized torpedo of Saaz. The waitress saw me trying to choke it down, and smirked "I told you so"

This reminds me of the last time I was back in Charleston SC last summer. My brother took me out to Big Belly (great place) and they had a really nice looking tap list. I don't remember the brewery, but there was an Imperial Pils on the list. The description said it had tons of Saaz so I had to try it. When I ordered, the young (very young) lady wrinkled up her face and asked, "Have you had it before? It's not very popular." Thinking, what does she know I went ahead and ordered one.

Good lord was it a hot mess. I think it was truly a pils, fermented at about 95 degrees, kegged a week after pitching and filtered through a grain silo sized torpedo of Saaz. The waitress saw me trying to choke it down, and smirked "I told you so"

Wow, it's nice to see a tale about a waitress who actually did know something about beer! Lol.

Heard this the other day.

Breweries use crown caps for beers that they know wont sell fast, and twist caps on their best sellers.

This could even be true; but the kid who said it is a profound idiot that works for me. So at least its funny to me.

My favorite is. Same kid as above to my brother " you don't know good beer".

My brother " I've spilt more good beer than you ever drank hammer"..

Gotta love the hammers you encounter in everyday life.

Heard this the other day.

Breweries use crown caps for beers that they know wont sell fast, and twist caps on their best sellers.

This could even be true; but the kid who said it is a profound idiot that works for me. So at least its funny to me.

I've drank about 9 million craft brews, they all use crown caps. Stone's Enjoy By uses crown caps, and those are meant to be consumed within 37 days.

I think he's describing BMC products vs craft.

That was my thought. Why lie?
Probably because it's marketing. The "public" barely knows what a pilsner is, and certainly doesn't know what a kolsch is.

A brewery here in WA makes a Kolsch using the commercial equivalent of US05. It's tasty. Can I tell it from a Kolsch made with Kolsch yeast? Sadly, not unless I had them sitting side by side, and then maybe not either.

Back