Bottling and temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maacoman

Reaction score
Im a first batcher with a wheat ale extract in the fermenter and getting ready to bottle. Once bottled, should they stay at room temperature or would it be better to refrigerate at the 50 degree range?

many first timers rush things, have you tested your FG to make sure fermentation is done and not just watching the airlock?

I used the hydro 8 days after fermenting started and it read 1.12. Now after 11 days the airlock bubbles every 55 seconds. I was told to wait for 90 second gaps between than bottle. Ill check the hydro again, I just fear removing the airlock and contaminating the brew.

I used the hydro 8 days after fermenting started and it read 1.12. Now after 11 days the airlock bubbles every 55 seconds. I was told to wait for 90 second gaps between than bottle. Ill check the hydro again, I just fear removing the airlock and contaminating the brew.

Well, bottling before the beer is ready is scarier than checking the SG. I'd suggest waiting until the SG has been stable for at least three days, but not bottling before 3 weeks total.

Bottle bombs are no joke, counting bubbles before bottling isn't a good way to see if the beer will explode in the bottle or not. Some airlocks bubble because a high pressure front moved in. Some don't bubble because there is a small air leak. NEVER bottle until the SG is stable, no matter what. The beer will be better if you wait three weeks before bottling. Think about it- a cloudy beer will have sediment in it that will drop out with some time. If you bottle quickly, not only do you risk bottle bombs, but all of the gunk that falls out of suspension will fall out in the bottle. So you'll have that crud in the bottom of the bottle.

If you wait until the beer is completely finished, then wait another week or two, you have 0 risk of bottle bombs. And if the beer is clear when you bottle it, you'll have a minimal amount of sediment in your bottles.

I'd prefer the last option.

OK . I never bothered to ask what type of bottle should be used. I used half standard and half twist top style (guy that I work with drinks a lot of Bud). Will the twist top seal like the standard? I dont remember reading about any preference on the bottling types.

Avoid twist offs. Some people have managed to use them successfully, but in general it's best to avoid them. They don't seal as well and could end up giving you a batch of stale beer.

ya dont use twist offs. I've actually used a couple successfully, but that was on accident. if you didnt hear them crack/chip when you clamped the cap on then you might be ok, but id drink those ones first

8 days is too soon to bother checking gravity. I usually wait at least two weeks before I check it...and even then, I'm only moving it to a secondary, I'm not thinking about bottling at that point.

Im Screwed. I bottled yesterday. Didn't know. DAMN IT!!

Easy now...no need to panic. :) If your referring to the same batch you mentioned earlier in the thread you should be fine. On March 16th you said it was 11 days old, so when you bottled it was pushing 30 days. What was your final gravity?

FG was 1.11. I never took an original gravity reading. About 8 days in, gravity was 1.12. I cant tell visually if the twist offs are sealed but they seem pretty tight. No liquid seeping from the cap. A good sign? I hope.

Back