How to get Co2 Outside of Refrigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f4an

Reaction score
I just recently got a 20lb co2 tank. It does not fit in my kegerator with 2 cornys. Does anyone have any material on what to do to get it outside of the refrigerator efficiently, without leaking a bunch of cold air out. I've looked all over for a good how to video but no luck. Any help will be much appreciated!

Drill hole with a step bit until it fits your gas line. Squeeze gas line through hole and connect to a manifold.
And dont forget to secure your tank.

i am curious also...i would like to find a hose that connects the tank outside to the regulator inside. I have a dual regulator, and do not want to get a manifold, or run 2 lines inside.

Here's my setup. It's a bit different, as the regulators are outside the unit and connected with a high pressure line to the CO2 tank. The two separate low pressure lines are then routed through the fridge sidewall. I was afraid to hit a coolant line, so I drilled the holes near the front edge and was very careful once I got past the metal skin.

DSCF0202.JPG

I was recently thinking about doing the same thing. Since I have already installed brass quick couplers(like this) on my C02 lines, I think the best method is to drill a hold through the fridge and install something like this.(a MFL bulkhead connector) Then install quick connects on either side of the fridge. This will allow for easy movement.

You would install a male coupler and a 1/4" barb fitting on the C02 tank side (dont forget the plumbing tape on the threads). Then drill the fridge for the MFL bulkhead (or what I would use would be a 1/4 copper pipe extension with rubber gaskets and big washers, much like the MFL bulkhead connector), then another male coupler on the inside of the fridge and a female coupler on the ouside of the fridge. Then another female and barb connector on the C02 manifold line.
I think you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you just put the co2 line through the bulkhead? Or do you need other accessories to make it work?

Here's my setup. It's a bit different, as the regulators are outside the unit and connected with a high pressure line to the CO2 tank. The two separate low pressure lines are then routed through the fridge sidewall. I was afraid to hit a coolant line, so I drilled the holes near the front edge and was very careful once I got past the metal skin.

DSCF0202.JPG

I'm willing to bet that since your coils are on the back of the fridge from what I can see in the picture, there are no coolant lines running through the sidewalls. I have the same type of fridge, and my taps are on the side of the fridge instead of the door.. there's nothing but foam in my sidewalls.

If you have this type of fridge, there's better reassurance that you can drill through the sides for gas lines, taps, whatever, and not hit anything. ... although there's always that chance ;)

I know this is quite a bit late in this thread. But I have a similar refrigerator as the one pictured. It has a thin metal sheet that lines the back side of the fridge. I took an xacto knife (of box cutter) and cut a small square out of the metal. I then probed in the foam insulation with a paper clip for obstructions. I found none and proceeded to carefully remove some of the foam and eventually, after about 2", found the rear of the inside plastic wall.

I know this might not be idea for all folks, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I have a 2010 Frigidaire FRT18IL6JB.

My CO2 line OD is 9/16ths. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit on the side of the fridge. It took a little bit of maneuvering but I was able to get the tube in the hole. It is a really tight fit so I do not have to worry about losing any cooling.

Latest posts

Back