Yeasty taste, how do I get rid of it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hi there,

My Maibock has been my most troublesome batch for a long time now. I messed up the efficiency calculations on brew day and added more DME than needed. The OG was 18.5P instead of the desired 16.5P. For such a strong batch I didn't propagate enough yeast and the fermentation was very sluggish at the end. When I racked to the secondary I diluted the batch to an OG of 16.5 and added some fresh yeast. I still took a while to get close to the anticipated FG. Since I made a fast ferment test I know the limit of attenuation and FG for this batch.

It was sitting in the secondary for over a month with an extract drop of about 0.25P/week before I decided to take it off the yeast and start lagering. At that time I already noticed the yeasty taste that the beer still has. Does anyone know if this taste is there to stay or of lagering will be able to fix this problem as well? So far none of my beers tasted yeasty for such a long time. But none of them did I have in the secondary for such a long time :(

Kai

Dude said:
It'll drop out with time. Set it aside and try it again in a month or two. :mug:

That's what I hoped. I also ended up opening the keg and took a sample from the top. It still tasted yeasty, but not as strong as the sample taken from the bottom. When I bottle my Hefe next weekend, I will also sanitize another corny and rack the Maibock yet again to get even more yeast out of this beer.

Kai

Another racking won't hurt, but you just need to keep on lagering. Try to get as cols as possible without freezing. My latest eisbock needed 6 months at 32*F to 'come clean'.

Back