Door dings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
Just found a new ding on my car. If anyone ever witnesses someone dinging a car with their door, even if it is not the witnesses car, they should be allowed to beat them down with no legal repercussion. Seriously, this shows the class and integrity of people that they do not care enough for other peoples property enough to leave a freaking note.

yes they should.. That and shopping carts from people too damn lazy to put them in the correct area.

The first new car I bought was struck 1 week after purchase. I had it sitting in a parking lot, came out with a cart right in the side, with a 4" crease. I was livid.

1 very small door ding (e.g. rarely even noticeable) in my car in 4 years of ownership... just need to be careful where you park and generally you can make out OK... but there are still the people who tend to park right next to you anyway no matter how far away you park. being careful has paid off for me though.

end spaces secure one side of the car (especially if you ride the line on the other side effectively securing both doors!), strategic spaces a few away from everyone, but not too far, also help. one of the few times i bit the bullet and parked between two cars at the market I got dinged... go figure.

but also, I've learned not to be too careful! my brother once parked a new vehicle far out in a lot (like literally 15+ spaces from anyone) and someone purposely ran a shopping cart right into the side of it doing $800 or so damage... nice person, eh? deserves one of my brother's 9mm cartridges in their a$$... and sure they would have gotten it had he seen who pulled the despicable act.

Did you see the two big strikes in my driver's side door the other day??

Courtesy of the co-worker who lacks the honesty to admit and pay up for them....

Now I am going to have to shell out the cash to have them pulled. :(

RoaringBrewer said:
1 very small door ding (e.g. rarely even noticeable) in my car in 4 years of ownership... just need to be careful where you park and generally you can make out OK...

I hear you, but when you have to lug a kid, stroller and (handing in the man card) a diaper bag (takes man card back) into the freaking babies r us for diapers or to the rite aid for medicine in the rain, you gotta take what you can get.

Dylan, I didn't see them, but if I knew who did anything like that to my car I would be pissed. Having to see them everyday would cause me to loose my mind.

That's the best part of it...I know exactly who did it and go figure, it totally fits with their throw you under the bus/can't trust 'em work personality. I am going to get an estimate from one of those places that does the "painless" dent repair in the next couple weeks.

Ryan_PA said:
I hear you, but when you have to lug a kid... into the freaking babies r us for diapers or to the rite aid for medicine in the rain you gotta take what you can get.

Bah, make the poor kid get soaked! :rockin:

Kidding, kidding... I guess that's understandable!

Its infuriating. I had a guy whack the side of my van with his car door yesterday- while I was sitting in it getting ready to walk into Lowe's- and the stupid ass just casually waves and smiles "oh sorry" without even looking to see if he damaged my door...he quickly threw his car in reverse and was gone before i could even get out to see what he did. Who the F taught this clown how to act in public?

Wow, unrelated but I just remembered this little side story. (You have to know my wife's name is Dina for this to be funny).

A few years ago we were at a wedding of her friend that I find annoying. During the course of the reception, I got really hammered. When we ent to sign the picture board, I decided to do it for the two of us. You sign the matting around some ghey picture and they hang it up to be reminded how 150 drunks love them down the road. Well, there was a disconnect between my brain and my fingers, and I wrote "Best wishes, Ryan and D-I-N-G" (without the dashes of course). I immedietly realized I screwed up and tried to fix it by writing over it to correct it, but ole drunk fingers just does another G. One more futile attempt to correct it and again a G. Now mind you, all of this was done with a sharpie, so every time over the letter, the deeper and wider the mark. To this day, that picture hangs over thier mantle in all its glory. From Ryan and Ding.

Ryan_PA said:
Wow, unrelated but I just remembered this little side story. (You have to know my wife's name is Dina for this to be funny).

A few years ago we were at a wedding of her friend that I find annoying. During the course of the reception, I got really hammered. When we ent to sign the picture board, I decided to do it for the two of us. You sign the matting around some ghey picture and they hang it up to be reminded how 150 drunks love them down the road. Well, there was a disconnect between my brain and my fingers, and I wrote "Best wishes, Ryan and D-I-N-G" (without the dashes of course). I immedietly realized I screwed up and tried to fix it by writing over it to correct it, but ole drunk fingers just does another G. One more futile attempt to correct it and again a G. Now mind you, all of this was done with a sharpie, so every time over the letter, the deeper and wider the mark. To this day, that picture hangs over thier mantle in all its glory. From Ryan and Ding.

LOL, SWMBO and I had one at our wedding reception, and it hangs in our living room as a tribute to both us and booze...you only have to read two or three of the blurbs on there to see it was a hell of a party.

Ryan_PA said:

:tank: speaking of side stories:

I was best man at a buddys wedding and had a totally new truck at the time. His new father-in-law proceeds to get plastered at the reception.

We are walking out at the end of the night and I see him slide into the driver's side of his car (parked directly across the lane in the lot from my truck). He throws it in reverse and slams the back end of his car into my truck, crushing his trunk and just putting some scratches in my bumper.

Car - 0
Truck - 1

when my wife and i got our first new car together in 2001, i used to baby the hell out of it. wash it all the time, get ape **** over the smallest scratch. it's been payed off for years now, and it's funny, the only thing i care about now, is that it has proper fluid levels, and regular oil changes, and working brakes. after the kid started riding in it, and using it as a backstop, i say ding away!!! :)

I am sure you have heard of using dry ice to pull dents. I've done it a few times and it does work. Heres a video.
[ame]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/494805/remove_car_dents_with_a_dry_ice_block_www_mastrik_com/[/ame]

Door dings are bad enough, at least most of them are accidental.

We bought a brand new car, owned it for less than 24 hours, and SWMBO stopped at a shopping centre to pick up a 12v fridge for a trip we were taking. She walked out and some F***HEAD had run a key down the side, and I mean DEEP, through the clear coat, paint, primer, and actually gouged into the metal....across both doors on the passenger side. I saw it when she got home and I almost had a coronary.

Tell you what, I was REALLY happy that I didn't catch whoever did it, because I would STILL be in prison for what I would have done to them.

Minor advantage of a Sprinter van. It's so tall that people tend to give it room, even though it isn't very wide.

My ute was born in 1987. I don't care what happens to it really.

With my car (born 2005) I always try to park it next to a more expensive car as a sort of insurance ;)

Yeah, this is why I refuse to ever pay more for a vehicle than the current year (thay way I can adjust for inflation:D ) Been driving my 93 olds that I paid $50 for and had to do a little a little work on to get it going, for about 6 years now. That thing is so beat up, I had to take a sledge and a 2x4 to it to pop out the rear quarter panel so the trunk would close. My wife wanted a better car so I had to shell out $1500 for her '96 4-runner. A new clutch assembly and hoses and it was good to go. With both of our cars, other than one tiny fender bender, no damage to either since we bouth them.

Moral of the story: Buy a crappy looking car and nobody will want to ding it, and if they do, you wont notice or care. Take the money you save and spend it on beer:mug:

I have a 1996 Tbird. Hey, it's my car, I bought it new and paid it off along time ago. It still looks good and runs great.
The worst experience I ever had was when I parked out in the back 40 of a dept. store. We came back out and some knucklehead in a late model MONSTER truck parked so close to the passenger side that the OL could not even squeeze thru.
Then I saw why. There were tennis shoe prints on the roof and on the hood of my car.
The fugger had used my car to step out and down onto the ground.
I pulled forward told the Ol to get in and pulled out my buck knife.
Lets just say that the MONSTER truck developed a serious lean to the drivers side.
I think it was a fair trade.:mad:
AP

Nice one!

Funny thing, my friend got a newer car last year and babies it terribly. Last weekend he had "some old ancient fossil!" back his van into his car. Th eold guy got out and said he didnt' have insurance. WTF?? It's the LAW!

Anyway, my friend was pissed, but not pissed as much as when he found out his own insurance had lapsed while they were in process of moving. So, I'm helping him fix and paint his back door. I guess I finally get to break out the body hammer set I got for xmas last year!!

Ok, this one will take the cake...

One night I was in a Walmart parking lot in VA Beach. It was pretty empty, so you think parking would be no problem. I park my car, 92 mazda protoge, and start to walk in. I hear a beautiful BMW M3 pull into the parking lot. This thing is a sight to behold. So being the gear head that I am, I wait up for a second and start talking to the guy ( he parked a "safe" distance from everyone else). As soon as we get to the door, I hear a POS civic pull up, then hear this god awful noise. We turn and see these motherf*cker's SLAMMING there doors into the driver's side of the BMW!!!!! The driver then backs up and swipes the whole side of the car. Before either of us could react they were gone....

How could some pukea$$ kid have the balls to do this to a guy who spent years of his life working and building his dream car.....I cried a little that night...:mad:

dirtymike1 said:
I hear a POS civic pull up, then hear this god awful noise. We turn and see these motherf*cker's SLAMMING there doors into the driver's side of the BMW!!!!! The driver then backs up and swipes the whole side of the car. Before either of us could react they were gone....

I bet the driver is in jail by now. Walmart's security cameras probably cought the whole thing include the little A-holes license plate.

In my two years of driving my car I haven't had one yet (knock on wood) I would freak out if I ever found one and totally agree with the OP about careless people that don't respect others' property. This website is an interesting read for people trying to avoid both door dings and close parking:

http://www.parkingbydesign.com/

EdWort said:
I bet the driver is in jail by now. Walmart's security cameras probably cought the whole thing include the little A-holes license plate.

Yes the cops caught them later that night. Its hard to miss a white car with black paint sracthced down the side of it. I heard little of it on the news, but from what I understand, the kids (they were 16-17), and thier parents won't be going to college or vaction for a VERY VERY long time.

+1 for the judical system doing the right thing for a change.

I was getting out of my truck at Costco one day when a woman pulled up next to me in the next spot. She got out walked over to the passenger side opened the door right into my truck and then got her purse out. Closed it and began walking while I was standing right there with my wife and kids.

I lost it- "Excuse my you ****ing ****, you hit my truck with your car door. A simple apologie would be nice you old useless *****."

The wife wanst happy but it made me feel better.

Only thing worse than a careless stranger is a careless SWMBO.

DSC02234.jpg

Giant Beach Trashcan 1
Brand-New Scratch Free Truck 0

It's been 3 weeks and I'm popping the top on my first batch of bottles this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed for carbonation and general taste of goodness...

Back when I first got my truck, 2001 Ford F-250 (she was brand new when I got her) Some dumb bit#@ slammed her door into my truck just as I pulled into the parking spot. Well needless to say, I could tell they didnt have insurance so they left with a ditch from bumper to bumber in the middle of their car. The looks i got from them were priceless. I'm sure they were carful to open their doors after that day.....:ban:

Back