Old Tettnanger hops and Tiber's Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrhoads

Reaction score
Hi all.
I recently brewed a batch of Tiber's Pilsner recipe and made the mistake of trying to use up an old batch of Tettnang hops that I had lying around, even after them smelling a little funky.:drunk:
The beer has been lagered for about 3 weeks and is currently carbonating.
This beer uses a fair amount of hops, about 6 ounces for a 10 gallon batch, and has a very vegetal/grassy/gross hop finish.
I was wondering if there is anything I can do to negate this hop flavor somewhat(dry hop with some fresh hops?)It's a shame because other than the finish, it is a mighty fine tasting beer(contradicting I know...) I added some gelatin in hopes that it might clear the taste a little, being that it hasn't cleared fully yet.

Lager it for a few months, it's probably your best and easiest option if you have the space. The hops will fade and mellow over time

Thanks for the replies. If anything, I have learned from this. No more old hops. The beer has settled and cleared nicely already. I'm not sure if It's because I've had a few pints of this, but the taste of earth/vegetal matter seems to have faded. I'll update with a little tester tomorrow.

Okay. So I just sampled this today, and it seems the gelatin I added a few days ago, has removed about 75% of this off vegetal/earthy flavor. The beer has also cleared very nicely. So if you happen to use old cheesy hops like I stupidly did, and get this type of problem, I guess, try some gelatin. Worked for me.

Back