Victoria Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregKelley

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with this type of Grain Mill? I brew extract with specialty grains so this mill appears it might just be the one I need.

never heard of that one.
is it similar to a Corona mill? if you're only cracking a few pounds of specialty grains for steeping, I would stick to a $20 mill like Corona.

or a marble rolling pin

Corona's are cheap (don't spend more than $20) and probably adequate for grinding a pound of specialty grain. If you ever get into AG or even doing decent-sized partial mashes, you really would want something better. VERY hard to control the grind; it's rare when people are able to get good efficiency, at least with any consistency, with a Corona. But, that's not an issue if you're just cracking a little crytal, it's just not something that you can really scale up if you ultimately go AG.

I don't know anything about the Victoria mill other than it LOOKS exactly like a Corona but MoreBeer says it's not... in any case, if you are looking at it new, I would REALLY hesitate to drop $60 on it, as for $120 you can get an excellent, excellent mill that will work for you for life, regardless of where your brewing takes you (the Barley Crusher).

I don't mean to pick on you Bird, but I respectfully disagree. Are you basing this opinion that "Coronas=bad" on experience?

When you ask people about their experience with the mill, you actually hear about a lot more successes with Corona's than failures. See here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

I think these mills have an unfair bad reputation. Yes, you will find someone who didn't like theirs, but that could be said of any product, I am sure.

FWIW, I use a Porkert mill (Corona knock-off) and was getting efficiency in the 70's on my second batch (now mine are all in the high-70's or low 80's consistently). It's not actually hard to control the grind, it is just hard to switch it back and forth between different grinds/crushes (that's where an adjustable roller mill shines).

FlyGuy said:
I don't mean to pick on you Bird, but I respectfully disagree. Are you basing this opinion that "Coronas=bad" on experience?

When you ask people about their experience with the mill, you actually hear about a lot more successes with Corona's than failures. See here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

I think these mills have an unfair bad reputation. Yes, you will find someone who didn't like theirs, but that could be said of any product, I am sure.

FWIW, I use a Porkert mill (Corona knock-off) and was getting efficiency in the 70's on my second batch (now mine are all in the high-70's or low 80's consistently). It's not actually hard to control the grind, it is just hard to switch it back and forth between different grinds/crushes (that's where an adjustable roller mill shines).

Notice that I said that it's "rare" that people get good efficiency with a Corona, not that it never happened.

I knew that SOMEONE here (couldn't remember, but now I remember that it was you) reported that you were having success with it, but I've heard from a lot more people (2nd Street comes to mind, but there are dozens of others) who have had a b*tch of a time getting much above 50% - 60%. That's what kept me from bothering with a Corona when I decided I needed to invest in a mill - didn't want to buy twice.

So, bully for you if you've got it right - but I wouldn't be dropping $60 on something that looks EXACTLY like a Corona without knowing exactly what made it different from a Corona, when it's really not that much more to get into a mill that everyone who has used it reports great success with.

(I was basing the $60 off of where I saw it priced at Morebeer; I see it other places online for less than that).

Yes, agreed that $60 is ridiculous. That's twice what that mill is worth.

And I guess I was trying to rebutt the point that success with a Corona-style mill is *rare*. Maybe there is a bias, but when the topic ever comes up, I seem to hear about a lot more successes than failure.

A caveat -- these mills do require some patience to set up. But once it is dialed in, you can just set and forget.

What I still don't understand (and what I think the OP was asking originally) is how this "Victoria Grain Mill" is different from a traditional Corona. OP, wish I could help, but I've neither seen it myself nor heard of anyone using that particular mill.

the_bird said:
What I still don't understand (and what I think the OP was asking originally) is how this "Victoria Grain Mill" is different from a traditional Corona. OP, wish I could help, but I've neither seen it myself nor heard of anyone using that particular mill.
I've seen the Victoria mill before (though have no direct use personally). My brother's bakery used one for milling various ingredients occasionally. It's essentially identical to the Corona, just slightly different construction. It's still just a turning disk against a fixed plate. I imagine it would work equally well (I'm in FlyGuy's camp on this one, I get mid to high 80's with my Porkert).

If it's $60 at morebeer though I wouldn't even consider paying that, checking ebay should net a corona-style mill for 15-20 I would think.

Corona user here. 65% efficiency on a good day. Lousy grind. Bear in mind that it does not crush, it grinds. Can't wait to ditch it.

For anyone who is interested....

1. the Victoria is adjustable so I would assume you could get a crush vs. just a grind (or maybe I'm wrong)

2. from one website I found, it was claimed that the Victoria and Corona are from the same company

3. I found the Corona for about $46 and the Victoria for $49. Not much different in price

Bradsul is right, eBay does not == used automatically. You'll probably be able to find a new one for <20.

Seems like everyone ignored one of the concerns that Bird originally pointed out - if you are doing all grain, you still have to run all 10+ lbs of grain through the Corona/Porkert/Victoria, and that takes some time.

Even my JSP MaltMill is a little slow and labor intensive for my tastes.... *writes Power Drill on his x-mas wish list*

I got my Porkert mill (Corona knock-off) for $20 new on eBay. They are very popular and work well for lots of people.

And a tip -- these mills can all be motorized VERY easily. Just remove the handle, and find a bolt that fits the thread of the handle attachment. Cut the head off and screw it into the mill, and voila -- you have an attachment point for a 3/8" drill. I can mill 10 lbs of grain in about 60 secs if I wanted to (I usually go slower and take about 3 mins or so). So speed is no more of a concern with Corona-style mills than any other type, unless you WANT to hand crank it!

chriso said:
...Seems like everyone ignored one of the concerns that Bird originally pointed out - if you are doing all grain, you still have to run all 10+ lbs of grain through the Corona/Porkert/Victoria, and that takes some time...
$1.00 modification (bolt and nut) and hook it up to a drill. I run through 6KG of grain in 3-4 minutes with my Porkert. There is a great thread on here somewhere talking about these mills. I replied in it so I guess I should be able to find it, but I can't. :D

I've got a victoria, motorized with a drill. Only done 4 batches with it, but our Eff. went up when compared with the crush we were getting from the LHBS. We crush on the fine side, batch sparge, stainless braid. 75%eff...

Porkert mill here also. Hand crank the sucker for 10 to 12 LBs of grain and get high 70's to mid 80's. I won't be looking for another mill or even to motorizing it.
Porkert=corona=victoria they are all basically the same. Some have larger hoppers.

Here's my porkert. Ugly as all h3ll but will chew through 6KG of grain in 3-4 minutes without a reload. I get mid to high 80's for my efficiency (both batch and fly sparging).

5408-grain_mill_small.jpg

A dumb question, maybe: Looking up Porkert on eBay turns up meat grinders and such -no "mill", apparently.

Are these grinders the kind of Porkert we are talking about...?

beergears said:
A dumb question, maybe: Looking up Porkert on eBay turns up meat grinders and such -no "mill", apparently.

Are these grinders the kind of Porkert we are talking about...?
No, the Porkert meat grinders and grain mills are not the same thing.

Here is what the grain mill should look like:
7346-GrainMill.jpg

boo boo said:
Here's mine. I have it mounted to a piece of board on top of my bucket with a chute made up to direct the grain into my bucket.
That's probably what I should do with mine. I needed something really quickly when I built this thing and it just kinda stuck.

I use a Porkert also.It's different than the ones pictured here but basically the same.I run it with a drill(10-15 mins for 20# of grain)and get 85% effic. nearly every time.That said,i'd love to have one of those higher dollar ones but this one suffices.
Cheers:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
...That said,i'd love to have one of those higher dollar ones but this one suffices.
Same here. I just can't justify $140USD for a monster mill or barley crusher when my efficiency is so good with the porkert. If someone gave me one though I'd drop the porkert in a heartbeat. :D

I just (cluelessly) bought a victoria mill on the advice of LHBS ($50).....I am heartened to see people coming in here and rescuing it from the negative, but I probably should have done my research before taking said advice......I'll be using it this coming week sI'm sure, and I'll report back!

EDIT: Holy crap (a 2 year old thread) - I gotta start looking at the dates more!

I just (cluelessly) bought a victoria mill on the advice of LHBS ($50).....I am heartened to see people coming in here and rescuing it from the negative, but I probably should have done my research before taking said advice......I'll be using it this coming week sI'm sure, and I'll report back!

EDIT: Holy crap (a 2 year old thread) - I gotta start looking at the dates more!

Yeah this is a more recent thread on using corona and that style mill...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

It has tips on tweaking them to use them....just know that if a coroa style is good enough for CHarlie Papazian...AND he gets 87% efficiency, than it isn't the piece of junk you or others may think it is....

It has tips on tweaking them to use them....just know that if a coroa style is good enough for CHarlie Papazian...AND he gets 87% efficiency, than it isn't the piece of junk you or others may think it is....

Should work fine, just a matter of ease and convenience. But, you definitely did overpay for it. I think they're around $20 online.

Corona's are cheap (don't spend more than $20) and probably adequate for grinding a pound of specialty grain. If you ever get into AG or even doing decent-sized partial mashes, you really would want something better. VERY hard to control the grind; it's rare when people are able to get good efficiency, at least with any consistency, with a Corona.

I disagree with absolutely everything above. I hit 72% efficiency on my first brew (batch sparge), and mid 80s on all subsequent batches with the corona. It hasn't been hard to control at all.

I don't know anything about the Victoria mill other than it LOOKS exactly like a Corona but MoreBeer says it's not... in any case, if you are looking at it new, I would REALLY hesitate to drop $60 on it, as for $120 you can get an excellent, excellent mill that will work for you for life, regardless of where your brewing takes you (the Barley Crusher).
I'm pretty sure Victoria has the old Corona plates or something. Pretty much all of those style mills are essentially the same.

I've got absolutely not problems with my (knockoff) Corona. That being said, if it was $60, and not the $24 I paid on ebay, I probably would have bought a monster mill, barley crusher, or some other roller mill.

I disagree with absolutely everything above. I hit 72% efficiency on my first brew (batch sparge), and mid 80s on all subsequent batches with the corona. It hasn't been hard to control at all.

I say this again and again, in fact it came up in another brewing podcast with him, but Charlie Papazian gets like 87% efficiency with his, and had been using it as long as he's been brewing AG.

Go to amazon.com and search for grizzly mills. It's the same style as a Corona and I think I paid $20 or $30. Everyone's right, it takes some time to dial it in, but once you do your set.

Careful with the Grizzly mill. I had to do all manner of tweaking just to get it to work at all. The tolerances were awful there. I still haven't been able to get my grinding plate straight, and I had to hit it with a Dremel and hacksaw just to put it together!

Careful with the Grizzly mill. I had to do all manner of tweaking just to get it to work at all. The tolerances were awful there. I still haven't been able to get my grinding plate straight, and I had to hit it with a Dremel and hacksaw just to put it together!

I had the same problems. I had to leave the cotter pin in that holds on the outer plate (instead of inserting a bolt) and just tighten it down. My grain is now all crushed and there is minimal husk shredding. If I'd quit being lazy I would try malt conditioning, but I've never had any problems lautering.

Latest posts

Back