Belma ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Haven't tried belma yet but hereis my plan
5.5 gallons
1.069 og
51 ibus
Total hops 6.55 oz

11.5 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs wheat
.75 lbs crystal 10
.5 lbs corn sugar

.8 oz @ 60 belma .....29 ibus
.75 ozcolumbus @ 15...19 ibus
.5 oz cascade @ 5 .....2 ibus
1.5 belma @ flame out
.5 Columbus @ fo
1.5 belma dry hop
.5 cascade dry hop
.5 Columbus dry hop

Us 05

Any thoughts? I know some people are saying belma is a little weak on flavor but smooth bittering. I figure it would go well in a light (color) dry ipa....but that's based on what I read. I have a hole lb of this stuff.

Cheers

Looks like a decent enough recipe.

Good call on bittering with Belma when reading your goal for this beer.
Add at least 15 more IBUs for the high gravity.
Double your hop additions at 15 & 5 min.
Add another 1/2 oz. to dryhop.

Your choice on using Belma at the later 15-0-DH slots. I personally don't enjoy it late at all because of the unpleasant spicy, grass-like traits that mettle with the pleasant pineapple-orange-strawberry notes it offers. However, using Cascade late in tandem may help to round that out for you.

Thanks for the response. I was debating upping the ibus so that sounds good. I'm hoping for a little flavor from Belma so I can test it out but I was hoping the cascade and Columbus could support it. I'll keep tweaking until I brew in a couple of days.

A couple people in our home brew club tried this hop out. It basically has hardly any flavor nor aroma. They were complaining of the aroma dying as soon as it hit the hot wort. I got to try both a belgian blema and all belma IPA. Both seem to have a slight "pineapple" flavor, but nothing in the way of american hops, citrus, pine, etc. I bought 7 oz off of one of the guys and I am trying to make a recipe to incorporate this and use it up. I might just use it for bittering and a bit at flameout like you have, along with amarillo and citra. Let us know how this turned out for you!

Back