Who has used safbrew 33 for trappists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If i had known that this yeast could truely deliver on a trappist ale I would have been using this yeast much much sooner.

I'm very impressed. Anyone else use this for various trappist styles?

OG was 1.073
FG is 1.014

My Belgian Pale Strong Ale is only 11 days old and the sample tasted so good I kegged 5 out of 10 gallons.

Since my only other beer right now is my increadably tart hefe... I decided to keg early. It tastes amazing and I can only suspect that the other 5 gallons will be even better once it ages for a month or so.

Damn I hate it when the only beer you have on tap tastes odd and you end up counting the minutes till you can keg another batch of something else.

I'm actually very very very suprised that this beer does not taste "green".
Mild but complex balanced esters. Great mouthfeel and subltle alcoholic feel that suprises you with a buzz you were not expecting. You'd swear there were some spices added but there were not. This will definiatley become a house beer ( though the 7% alch does not make it a session beer..lol)

Still needs to clear, but I'm not tasting any yeast bite. For soem reason this beer has broken ost of my rules and still managed to come out great. SO great it must be evil! Applicable beer name soon to follow.....

Oh no.. two beers in the same keggorater with completely diff temp requirements!

Hmm.. enough typing after a few "samples". :drunk:

I have some of this in the fridge, but have never used in on anything. I do remember Jamil mentioning it as an option for Belgians, if you absolutely must use dry yeast (which, IIRC, is an issue for you). Good to know that it's a viable option!

Hey Denny, just wondering - have you ever tried SafBrew T-58 for Trappist beers? I believe I have read that this is the dried form of the yeast Chimay uses in their beer. Also, did you just use one packet of yeast for your batch? I'm planning on making a Tripel as my next brew, and if you have any good recipes, that would be great! I really love La Fin du Monde by Unibroue.:rockin:

I used one packet for 10 gallons. Slightly underpitching will increase esters.
I picthed when the ambient temp was a bout 20c and let it run away on it's own.

I've been meaning to try 58, but I haven't gotten my hands on any yet.

I have a hunch that 33 is a lot like what Westvleteren uses, but I have no real proof.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a good Trappist ale recipe, and I haven't really found what I was looking for yet. I'll get a pack of T-58 and use it for that, and post the results. I just can't really spend 7 bucks for a vial of yeast. I've been trying to cultivate the yeast from a bottle of La Fin du Monde, but I don't think it's going too well. Good to know that S-33 works well for this style.

I have used it several times, not particularly for Trappists though. It is a good yeast, but I still am very fond of the WLP550 (Achouffe if my understanding is correct). I can definitely see it for certain Belgians, I bet it would work well with a Wit.

Necro'ing this thread to sing the praises of Safbrew 33. The Wit kit I got for my first batch had this yeast in it. I was concerned when the airlock stopped bubbling 30 or so hours after I pitched the yeast, but my hydrometer said that it was done fermenting so I racked to secondary and waited. This past weekend I got my ego stroked a little when my brother-in-law asked if I realized that my homebrew tasted like Bell's Oberon. I've used it for a pale ale and a stout since, both still conditioning in the fermenter. On both occasions fermentation took of like crazy and subsided 30 or so hours later. Do all dry yeast ferment this quickly, or is it a trait of this strain?

Back